Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What bike to take – Muncaster and Eskdale
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

Heading home this weekend to see the folks for a few days, and planning to get out for a couple of hours on one of the bikes.

Starting at Eskdale Green, I’m planning to ride up Mitredale, around Burnmorr Tarn and back to Boot, followed by a loop around Muncaster Fell.
    Route on Strava

Wondered what the STW collective thought would be the most suitable bike:
    – rigid gravel bike (with 40mm tyres)
    – hard tail
    – full bouncer

mildbore

Haven’t ridden this for a few years (ahem, 20), but when I did it was on a fully rigid mtb, all was fine apart from a short rocky section above Boot, so I’d think your hardtail would be best

LittleNose
    Free Member

cheers mildbore 🙂
    Hope to come back with some nice pics.

Fingers crossed for a little sunshine

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly that route on a 140mm 33lb Wolf Ridge. All of the bikes will do the job, which is the lightest? There’s a lot of climbing out of Mitredale & I suspect the ground around the tarn will be very boggy.
    Rocky descent into Boot is great fun on a full suss though!

Say hi if you see me bimbling around between the pubs on a Genesis Day One, it’s the Beer Festival this weekend 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for a little sunshine

Enjoy a pint in the Brook House Inn, one of my favourite pubs 🙂

LittleNose
    Free Member

cheers guys… I’ll keep an eye out for you MD; looks like I’ll be on a white GT Zaskar

festival you say!
    In that case, I will have to pop in for a beer or two

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ll be in the Brookhouse tomorrow! We are taking the bimbling (commuter) bikes to get around the valley, prefer riding between the Woolpack, Boot & William IV to walking.

LittleNose
    Free Member

enjoy the beers today MD – looking at the weather forecast I think I’ll be heading out on Friday afternoon for this ride / beers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t blame you!
    It will be VERY boggy around the tarn, and the streams cutting across the trail will be moving fast so take care.

slackboy

I did parts of that last week on a hardtail. Wouldn’t have wanted to do it on a rigid bike. It was boggy last friday, imagine its much worse now

LittleNose
    Free Member

cheers folks.. maybe I’ll change the top part of the loop and go up the other side of Eskdale to see Devoke Water instead – looks like it may be less boggy

LittleNose
    Free Member

Ha haa to my thinking it would be less boggy up at Devoke Water, it was a quagmire up there, and I couldn’t find the bridleway half the time – that said, really enjoyed the day, thanks folks
    Relive Video

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What bike to take – Muncaster and Eskdale’ is closed to new replies.