Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • What bike for South Downs Way in a Day attempt?
  • aracer
    Free Member

So what’s your helmet then that you overheat on every climb – a full-facer with no vents?

weeksy

Done this at night and i rekon it’s the way forward….That way it’s not quite so boring and you can’t actually see how long and hard the hills are..

Although it’s quite easy to get lost in the dark lol

I was on my 1 day old Giant XTC 29er and my riding buddy was on his Zesty 514.

senorj

I did it on a sub 5 quite a few years ago –
    over two days – we got lost & did 80 mile the first day!

I would do it on a hardtail if I were to do it again.

loum
    Free Member

ibnchris, cheers for the Bell tip. will try a look at them next time.

Also, not worried about time taken.

Like I’ve said already, don’t want to get into a debate about helmets, just looking for a little advice from the people who’ve done it concerning the nature of the course.
    The way I see it, some rides carry different risks than others. If its all on soft ground, no rocks and no traffic, and has long gradual uphills and downhills without too much technicality, then personally I feel the risk of overheating can become more significant.
    Don’t want a general argument, just inviting comments fom any like minded individuals with experience of this route.

waswas – you’re post makes sense. No stopping particullarly on longer endurance challenges, just get into a rythm and keep going. It also means the helmet decision needs to be made before the start

thomthumb
    Free Member

If its all on soft ground,

it’s on baked hard chalk. as hard as concrete in places. unless it’s wet then it’s baked hard chalk with a slippery layer on top. still hard.

JoB
    Free Member

If its all on soft ground, no rocks

it’s on hard chalk cheerfully scattered with flints, which were once used to make arrowheads and axes out of, so quite gashy

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Short Travel FS. After 50 miles or so it starts to take it’s toil a little on the back. Then again I am over 40…

loum
    Free Member

thomthumb, JoB – thanks. Helmet it is. Probably time for a new one anyway.

pnik

Thanks for all the advise. I live in Brighton so know the SD pretty well. I have done it several times over 2 days, usually on the Lemming Trail in September, I have done it on a alu hard tail, a GT LTS ffs and the ORange but always with a good nights sleep in between. I was thinking the new orange might be a bit slack for all day, but like the comfort idea. As for the weather because of organising friends etc, I have little choice about the date so we’re doing it then wet or dry. I was planning a warm up 6 weeks before over 2 days. Oh yes the other thing the only timelimit being daylight in July, leave winchester about 7am to arrive at Beachy Head beofre it gets dark. 4 of us.
    Liking the idea of changing bikes at Devils Dyke, the hard tail would be a welcome boost on the climby bits, but probably not my soft bits 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it’s on baked hard chalk. as hard as concrete in places. unless it’s wet then it’s baked hard chalk with a slippery layer on top. still hard.

it’s on hard chalk cheerfully scattered with flints, which were once used to make arrowheads and axes out of, so quite gashy

This, I shredded 2 tyres on the flint trying to do half of it in an afternoon. Take plenty of buiness cards/toothpaste tubes/tyre boots and I’d considder a really lightweight folding tyre stashed somewhere in the groups backpacks.

Just get a more expensive helmet (generaly cooler), or a haircut (but I’m getting to the point where I think my long hair is actualy providing a cooling effect by wicking moisture!)

pnik

fortunately age has provided me with little obstruction of the hair kind.
    I’ve been generally quite lucky over the years with flints. although I suppose, breaking a helmet and rearranging a couple of vertibrae in my neck in 98 bursting my front tyre on flint on the comically named Fulking Hill might qualify as bad luck!
    Was thinking Crossmark or ignitor tubeless, and yes I carry tyre boots normally but never had to use one.

Wookster

Cross bike and a love of pain!! I’d go for what’s your most comfortable bike mate it’s a long ride so something you’re happy on plus one your comfortable riding when tired!

superfli
    Free Member

Yes, you could say that…1/2 into our “perfect day” ride last year:

His fault, rocky flints knocked hands off bars on fast double track (nr Staines St).
    We were on HTs and I’ll be doing it again on HT this year. Wouldnt bother using my FS.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On a related topic which section(s) are worth doing for a shorter day ride – say 30-40k, either a loop or a point to point with transport options for return leg ?

singletrackmind

Probably recomend the HT with big volume tyres for some compliance.
    The climbing in each half is nearly equal . Its just the hills are bigger and more spaced out past Lewis. Plus the Winch end ones are on a faster rolling surface .
    Learn where the taps are .
    Take alot of food .
    Ensure 48hrs of dry conditions prior to riding , and ideally a tail wind.
    Book a B&B in Eastbourne , its pretty grim getting the train back to Winch.
    Do it in a smallish group or solo .
    Its the stops that kill your overall time , so keep then to an absolute minimum . 5-6 mins every hour works well.

pnik

Brighton to Eastbourne is OK, with rail stations at both ends. Otherwise theres a popular loop north of worthing takes in Cissbury and Chantenbury rings, which is classic south downs loop. starts down by Lancing College/Shoreham airport.
    IMHO the Winchester end is a bit dull, improves after Petersfield. I’m sure GPSies or bikely will have the North of Worthing one, Brighton to Eastbourne is just a join the dots excercise on the map (although its probably 35miles not k)

rewski
    Free Member

Brighton to Eastbourne is a great ride, some killer hills, southease and windover can be a slog in the wind and wet, I’ve done it on both HT and a 140 AM FS, both were fine, the AM was faster and more fun on the descents to be honest. Planning to do the full SDW in June.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Did the SDW in a day last June.

Write-up here

Last time was on a lightweight Alu Trek8500 hardtail, but managed to jar my neck so ibruprofen became my friend. If I’m fit enough my next attempt will be end of this June on a carbon full bouncer

Ewan
    Free Member

I did it in a day a couple of years ago on a long travel Marin hardtail. Was fine, I swapped the tyres to semi slicks IIRC but that was about the only change (might have taken the bash ring off). Weighed about 30lb.

Get a map of the water points so you’re never carrying more than a litre or so, it’s quite fun, if a bit knackering (big climbs at the end). Just a day of strapping one on really.

Oh, and if it’s raining, I wouldn’t bother, the chalk is lethal.

o96192083
    Free Member

In a day of daylight? Seeing as I can see it out my window, the SDW is not exposed to daylight for 24 hours.

palookah
    Free Member

So is a CX bike a totally silly idea? Was quite tempted before reading one of the posts above.

flap_jack
    Free Member

did it in ’98 on a Zaskar with 70mm forks and 1.9 tyres. Would do the same again now.

however, if you’re overheating on climbs with a helmet on you’re probably not fit enough to take this on.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i did it in august 2010 on a giant xtc. starting as early as possible is a good idea(5.30 am), also a map ,yes its signposted but there will be the odd junction where one is missing or has fallen down. there are enough taps along the way that two bottles on the frame will do ,no need for a bladder in backpack.keeping backpack weight to a minimum is best but still bring essential repair items(better to be looking at them than for them)try and keep stops to a minimum too,aside from refilling bottles 5 minutes here and there will be a lot of time at the end of the day.having a place to stay in eastbourne afterwards is a good idea too so when you arrive your days work is done.

muddy@rseguy

Take whichever bike you are most comfortable riding for 14hrs plus ( if you get backache then a full susser is a very good idea), 29ers are apparently good too so I’ve been told, DONT use 2.4in DH tyres: anything else that can roll ok, survive a bit of flint damage and also grip on damp chalk should be ok, bring a pump, a few inner tubes and repair kits, take lots of food/gels etc, a nice big camelbak or a couple of large water bottles and know where the water taps are because you will need them (BTW the one in Adur valley is sometimes not working) and FFS try and start early (ie before 7am, preferably before 6am unless you want to roll into Eastbourne after midnight!) Weekdays are better as you dont have so many walkers/horseriders out. Oh, and pack some lights…

When you get to the umpteenth long slog climb of the day you can marvel at all the people who say that the South Downs are “rolling rather than hilly” (a direct quote from MBR…)

You can do shorter prep rides going from QECP to Arundel/Worthing or Worthing/Brighton to Eastbourne and use the train to do the outbound or return leg. Both these rides are ace long days out and you can easily get a good 40-50mile late spring/summer ride out of this 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I seem to remember a certain person saying he’d do it all this year in a day at the M@ xmas do.

Are you still game?

brooess
    Free Member

I did it over 2 days in 2010. I was fit at the time but that was still hard. Cotic Soul. Day2 I was feeling it on the saddle and reckoned a race full suss would have helped the discomfort.
    I have a Five too, i think the weight would make it unsuitable tbh
    A carbon seatpost on yr hardtail would be my recommendation
    I would also wait until we’ve had a couple of weeks of sun to bake it hard – you’ll roll a lot faster
    re water, you’ll need loads but plenty of taps en route. there’s a website somewhere which gives you all the map refs. I marked them on my OS maps and took them with me. Without regular water you’ll be in a bad way IMO
    Enjoy, it’s a great ride

birdage

Regularly loop between Littlehampton and Eastbourne on a crossbike and suits me fine. Only get punctures from thorns not flints. Wet chalk is another matter and would opt 29er hardtail. A bell helps too.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

well you want a tail wind, so watch the weather and go by that.

edit god im high, you want a short travel full sus, go i hated riding round there no **** rocks or boulders, some relay nice people though.

pjm84
    Free Member

I did it in 2007 on a hardtail and I was numb by the end of it. Ride time was around 12hr 20min.

I’ve also done a 145km training ride on my Top Fuel a couple of year later using the SDW for 90km of the ride. It was bliss in comparsion.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What bike for South Downs Way in a Day attempt?’ is closed to new replies.