Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What bike for… Moab?
  • flamejob
    Free Member

I’m going on a nerdy trip to Boulder next week and my cousin called up and said I could borrow his Jeep and should drive to Moab for the long weekend. WooT!

I’ve wanted to go since seeing pics of it in Mountain Bike Action and on ; what was that film called with Hans Ray and Herbold?

So excited I’m going to spew.

Anyhoo. Of my steeds I have three that might be suitable:

Witch by JasonW-D, on Flickr

Orange named Tange by JasonW-D, on Flickr

Flameboy by JasonW-D, on Flickr

kayak23

Sorry, can’t help, except for this…
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cNMI8EGa_Ic&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcNMI8EGa_Ic&gl=GB[/video]

roverpig

Depends which trails you are planning to do I guess. We lived out in Utah around 15 years ago and rode Slickrock and White Rim trails on fully rigid steel bikes. But I bet there is more technical stuff around there too.

Just remember to take plenty of water. It’s so dry that you don’t know you are sweating until you start to feel crap. So keep drinking and have fun.

Cheers,

Andy

NormalMan

The film was Tread.

Do I get a prize of a ticket to go to?

leffeboy

Just remember to take plenty of water

That

mattjg
    Free Member

We lived out in Utah around 15 years ago and rode Slickrock and White Rim trails on fully rigid steel bikes.

Did it on my 85mm ’02 Kona Kula. Obviously I was well overbiked!

My tips:
    * fat tyres for the sand
    * read ‘Desert Solitaire’

The desert is a wonderful environment, one of the most beautiful places I have been. We did some fantastic trails in the Wasatch (near Salt Lake City) too, very different: forests, glades and mountains.

OP I am envious.

flamejob
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-P5Z2aPnM[/video]

@normal man I’ll bring you back a chip of stone

TooTall
    Free Member

You do know it is 375 miles in each direction. That is a day of travel each way. Long trip for a weekend.

footflaps

Low gears if you’re doing Slickrock – it’s very, very steep in places!

Ascending to slick rock heaven by brf, on Flickr

nedrapier

I’m off there myself on Monday!

Getting married on Saturday, Monday flight to Vegas, Jeepy thing hired for 2 weeks and a vague plan: Zion Narrows, Bryce, Cathedral Valley, Capitol Reef, Arches, Moab, some of the afore-mentioned Mountain Bike Action, float on the Colorado River.

If anyone wants to add any must-dos to that, we’d be very grateful!

And/or the best place to head for bike hire in Moab?

lardman
    Free Member

@OP….

I reckon that either of the first two would be good to ride there.
    Check out Porcupine Rim trail, and i reckon that is a stunning and enjoyable ride.

The slickrock trail will entertain for maybe half a day, but not much more.

By the way, what is that ‘flameboy’ retro lookin thing you got there? Looks sweet.

kelvin

Any bike.

flamejob
    Free Member

@TooTall Yeah… I like a road trip me. Especially when fuel is 1/5 the price.

Flameboy is a Ti-Roh hardtail I penned on AutoCAD about 8 years ago and had made in China. I feel he should go, because I will always own him…. and has appropriate tyres 😉

lardman
    Free Member

That sounds interesting! Did it end up pricey? did they do a good job of it?
    Have you got a link for the people that made it up?

I’m full of questions today.

nedrapier

How did you get on, flamejob?

I saw a 2013 Salsa Mukluk outside Uranium Cycles and knew I had to have a go.

Ceri got herself a Spesh Stumpy Elite from the Rim Cyclery.

Warm up on Moab Brand trails, (a load of interlinking loops from easy to tricksy), then Porcupine Rim the next day. One of my best days ever on a mountain bike. Loved the fatbike, worked really well on the trail, although finding the right compromise in tyre pressure between squish, traction, handling and rim ding protection as the hard part. And I got it wrong. Sorry Uranium!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

You have to do porcupine rim, one of the best! I did it hardtail with 80 mm forks back in the day. Take your normal ride which today is probably a full sus. Slick rock is fun and funny. Grip grip grip but its a touch little loop. Rigid if you’re a masochist! Enjoy, fab chilled place.

flamejob
    Free Member

All amazing. Really incredible place and I can now call myself a Mountain Biker after 24 years of riding.
    Mecca is real and it is Moab.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What bike for… Moab?’ is closed to new replies.