Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What bike for Kielder Montane 100?
  • dogthomson

Quite fancy doing the Kielder Montane 100 next year but I'm a bit unsure if my bike might be overkill for the course. I currently ride a Saracen Zen with 140mm Vanilla's up front with heavy but bashable rims.

What will everyone else be riding? Dunno if I should invest in a race HT with a little less travel? 100 miles on a heavy bike could be a nightmare!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If/when I make the leap my recent extravagance (child on the way, hope it lasts 18 years minimum) Fuel EX9 will be my companion (lighter and generally nicer than my Carrera Fury, Claude Butler Urban 300 might not be up to the job) but am looking forward to seeing what might I should be riding 🙂

nicks
    Free Member

i would guess short travel full sus. spark. epic . anthem .

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I'd say something light, for those miles in the middle when you feel like cack

miketually
    Free Member

There was almost every kind of bike you could imagine there last year, from uberlight carbon full sus to steel rigid singlespeeds.

Ride whatever you'd normally ride for long off-road rides.

I rode this:

I didn't have the tribag on, but wished I had and it'll be there next year.

nonk
    Free Member

did you do 100 miles on flats mike? 😯

jonb
    Free Member

If I do it I will be doing it on a Stumpy with 140mm of travel as it's my lightest most comfortable bike. I can lock out the suspension for any climbs or fire road.

I did the Selkirk Merida on a 140mm 456 with flats and it wasn't that bad as at the time I rode everything on that bike.

You will probably be alright. If it was my money I'd get some new wheels. Something lighter that still fitted with the rest of the bike. Hope hoops with flows?

If you've got the money then get a new bike or if you think you will use it afterwards then get a new bike. BUT make sure you've done long rides on it before you do the 100 miles.

crazy-legs

My personal choice for something like that would be a lightweight short travel full sus – Specialiazed Epic, Scott Spark, Trek Fuel etc.
    As usual at enduro events/24hr races etc, there's people there on all sorts – more depends on your training and preparation than the bike (within reason).

miketually
    Free Member

did you do 100 miles on flats mike?

I do all my riding on flats.

forge197
    Free Member

I'll be on my Chumba XCL, I can wind the front down on the climbs and enable pro pedal, should be fun on the downs then, that and my other bike is a hardtail and I'd like to use a full suss for this. (something a little light might be better though but I am not buying a bike for one race!!)

It's funny to think that 4 laps of Kirroughtree Red and Black would be about race distance and I can bearly do 1 lap of that without cramp so it's going to be a challenge to do this but looking forward to it already, when I finish the 100 it will be a big achievement at least for me.

dogthomson

Thing is, I don't really DO long offroad rides! I usually ride for 6-7 hours max, then I start to get a bit saddle sore. I think this could be to do with the I-beam sadlle/seatpost combo.

Hmm… Decisions decisions!

ace_sparky
    Free Member

I'm planning on entering some time next year, I'll be riding an Anthem, 85mm of travel at the front, 90mm at the back, set up just for long rides, weighs in at just under 25lbs at the minute. Reckon it should do the job nicely. 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

maybe I'll need to revise the bike choice though I am entering to complete it not to win it, (as there is no chance of a podium finish) finishing it would feel like winning to me, so plodding at the back with a 32lb bike should be ok 🙂

didgerman
    Free Member

Don't forget, when it's dark you'll want enough travel to forgive those half asleep moments of terror as you hit a rock garden way too fast.
    At least, that's what happened to me at my last relentless 24. I'll be going for more travel next time, just for the added escape from human error factor…..

Smee
    Free Member

MikeTually – that there explains why you were DFL. 😉

richmars

I was going to ask the same question. Currently use an Anthem for summer races and Inbred single speed for winter races/training. I'm thinking of going ali hardtail, with 1×9 gears. I need to work out what's the smallest chainring I can use.
    I think you need to plan for the last 20 miles even if it means a less then ideal bike for the first 80.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Goan – Member
    MikeTually – that there explains why you were DFL.

No, that explains why he is a TFH (Total F'in Hero/Headcase, delete as appropriate) 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

bloody hell mike that makes you about twice as hard as you think you are.
    good work sir.

miketually
    Free Member

Don't forget, when it's dark you'll want enough travel to forgive those half asleep moments of terror as you hit a rock garden way too fast.

Everyone should be finished before dark next year, as the time cut-offs have been revised, and will be a bit more strictly enforced.

drain

SC Superlight was perfect. Sure, you could go lighter but after such a long time in the saddle comfort becomes a big factor.

Mike, where'd you get the info about stricter enforcement on cutoff times?

miketually
    Free Member

Mike, where'd you get the info about stricter enforcement on cutoff times?

Was mentioned on here, I think. Apparently, people who made it to the last time cut off after the cut off time were allowed to continue.

I think they want to avoid having people finish in the dark.

uplink
    Free Member

I think they want to avoid having people finish in the dark

That'd be you they're talking about Mike 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

That'd be you they're talking about Mike

Yup, though I did make the final time cut off 🙂

tootin

Tallboy?

how-soon-is-now
    Free Member

Mike, nice bike, not sure i'd fancy 100k on it though.
    Did you weigh it?

re single speeding a few questions, does that chain tensioner work well, do you use a specific single speed chain, how did you work out chain length and could i get away with using a raceface middle ring up front??

Smee
    Free Member

How soon is now – this is a strictly imperial race this one.

how-soon-is-now
    Free Member

somewhat tiring i would imagine.

radoggair
    Free Member

Mike, nice bike, not sure i'd fancy 100k on it though.

100k… 100 miles more like it

Hopefully have a race bike by then. Rode a 32lb turner 5 spot last year ( lyrics, high rollers etc) so not light and finshed a respectfull 11th open males. Defo looking for something 22lb mark, maybe lighter. The course last year was alot of fire road so light n fast is preferable compared to heavy n comfy

miketually
    Free Member

Did you weigh it?

No, I've never weighed a bike.

re single speeding a few questions, does that chain tensioner work well, do you use a specific single speed chain, how did you work out chain length and could i get away with using a raceface middle ring up front??

Yes, no, short as possible, possibly.

how-soon-is-now
    Free Member

thanks for replies

rolfharris
    Free Member

Anything that gives you a mental boost. If you can no longer find excuses to stop related to the bike then you have a genuine reason to stop.

My bike was perfect, I was not.

HarYuken
    Free Member

I finished it last year on a 33lb 2006 Heckler with Fox Van 36's and very fat tyres. There were maybe a couple of bikes that were near to this weight (a burly Orange 5 and Turner mentioned above) but I definately felt very over biked, looking around at the start!

It was hard work (on the ups anyway!). Not convinced it was much of an advantage on the downs TBH.

I will lighten it up by a few lbs for next year (forks, tyres and wheels), as I cant afford another bike at the mo but I think if I could choose any bike, then it would prob be a Spark or an Anthem.

A hardtail would prob be quickest if you are a light rider who can cope with the fatigue a hardtail brings.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What bike for Kielder Montane 100?’ is closed to new replies.