Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bike for a 7yr old?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

My sons just about outgrown his Islabike cnoc16 so we're just starting to look around for the new bike for him tempted by the Beinn 24, but for £250 is there anything else about?

I was wondering if I could build up a small adult bike with 24" wheels or whether that should be the next bike @ around 9-10?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Hotrock looks ok, but wonder if the Beinn would be lighter???

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

it would be as it has no suspension and only single ring up front. there both grip shift which imho is not to good. find a local dealer and try it out.

tootin

grip shifts are much easier for kids to handle

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

that is wrong. i used to get people coming in to get grip shifts taken off as there kid fell off. as whist trying to twist they where pulling the bars and falling off. where as trigger shift does not require you to pull or push the bars to change gear.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I really like the hotrocks. I know someone who built up a road bike for their son – bought a small frame but used 700c wheels and reasonably good gear so that when he outgrew it they could just get a bigger frame (I guess the same would apply to mountain bikes). It really does depend on the size of your son (working in a bike shop I've seen a fair few people under 10 get away with a 13" frame!

Clink

My youngest is 7 and currently riding a Beinn 24. Oldest is 9 and has been riding a 14" Inbred (1×9) since last Easter; she immeadiately went faster off road as the bike felt (and looked) more stable. I'm considering building a full-size bike for the 7 year old too. May be selling the Beinn 24, but not yet!

Our experince is that they find trigger shifters easier, as they wobble as they try to shift using grip-shift!

nuke

Bizarrely wondering exactly this question this morning for my 7 year old…wondering if I could get away with buying a 14" Inbred frame and sticking 24" wheels on it then upgrading to 26" as he grew. 😕

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Seems we're all thinking the same thing 8)

Anyone have any thoughts on a light weight (race) BMX so its more chuckable than an xc or small adults bike?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Selling a 24" wheel kona Hula if your interested, looking for £180 + carriage

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a 7yr old?’ is closed to new replies.