Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • what bike for 5 foot tall 12 year old
  • theupsetter
    Free Member

Don’t have a lot to spend but looking something kind of light – any recommendations?

Are there any new cheap bikes that might do the job, or can anyone point me in the direction of some good secondhand brands to lookout .

theupsetter
    Free Member

any thoughts?

big_scot_nanny

Not massively helpful, but Islabikes are raved about for kids of all ages.

But at that age and height, maybe a small on-one would be a good bet?

HTH a bit!

DaveRambo

I think the 12yr old bit is irrelevant – what bike for a 5ft girl.

Something light and not expensive is moon on a stick as money mainly buys you lighter components.
    I’m about to have the same issue with my daughter and am probably going to wait until she can ride a small framed bike – whether it be women specific or not.

Then it’s going to be a matter of how much we decide to spend. I’m tempted to buy something second hand so it not a big deal if it gets dropped, you get more for your money etc.

So I’d get her leg/torso measurements and/or visit a bike shop so she can sit on a few, Then look at ebay etc.

I’m going to struggle to buy something cheap as kids tend to respect decent equipment and I’ll make her look after it and lumber her with the problem of never being able to ride a cheap bike again.

Let us know what you end up doing.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_OAB’s weeny Cannondale F900SL is ace, and she is 5′ on the botton.
    It does not look like a kids bike, and is one of the best fits she has had on any bike.
    It is XS, and cost £250 second hand…

Middle OAB has a Trek as well, and with a tiny stem and shorter travel forks that too is shaping up nicely, although a higher BB and longer TT compared to the Cannondale. (Image last year when he was *just* on it so different stem etc now).

Trek 4300 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Eldest OAB has a Isla Bikes Beinn 26, but if mrs_OAB uses it (she has done) it does come up a bit small. Definately a shorter, lower geometry that the Trek or Cannondale.

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘what bike for 5 foot tall 12 year old’ is closed to new replies.