Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What balance bike?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I did briefly search so if it’s been done to death please point me in the right direction.

Was looking at the early riders http://earlyrider.com

This is for Xmas when my little fella will be 2years old

T1000
    Free Member

One with a rear brake, makes the transition to a bike so much easier

medoramas
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike!

However in my opinion it is quite expensive considering the time your little man would be using it… If you have cash to spare – that’s not a problem 😉

Getting a small pedal bike and removing the crankset and chain would make the whole thing last a bit longer. 8)

isitafox
    Free Member

The early riders are pretty high end for a balance bike. You can get something that will do the job equally well for a lot less (both my boys started on a £70 balance bike from Evans, same as this one, with foam tyres which is still going well 5½ years later) although I am also looking at getting my daughter an Early Rider for xmas this year just because.

hatter

Earlyrider’s are lovely, Isla bikes and Frogs are less lovely but both perfectly sufficient.

Just to be weird I ended up getting my wee man a Moustache Bike Mercredi 12 it was a bit of a faddle getting the hubs running smoothly but it’s lovely and light and once he got the idea he was flying, moved onto a pedal bike just after his third birthday and zipping about now.

thepodge
    Free Member

My advice is the lightest one you can find as you’ll end up carrying it at some point

johni
    Free Member

My daughters love their Adventure Zooom balance bikes.

isitafox
    Free Member

I disagree with the above comment about the time used, my first son was never off his and rode it pretty much everyday for just over a year and covered a lot of miles on it. It was worth every penny hence the idea of an early rider for our daughter, I do however agree with the brakes comment. That is pretty much the decider in which bike to get.

jam-bo

cruzee. it’s the lightest balance bike out there and being able to pick it up themselves is really important when they are small.

Bregante

Ive been impressed with the strider bike that I bought for my lad last year. He’s a little older than yours but he has dyspraxia and it’s been a long journey to get him riding but his older kids version is extremely sturdy (takes my 15st weight as well as his with ease).

Apologies for posting again but it still makes me smile.

and within a few days of the above pic he nicked HarrytheSpiders lads proper bike and rode off into the sunset 🙂

alexh
    Free Member

Our frog tadpole has been used by all 3 kids. Just make sure you find a current version with the brake on top of the rear (i would say triangle, but it’s just a chainstay, without a chain..) anyway the older model with the brake on the underside is best avoided as my kids have had some neat grazes from it when catching their legs

tang
    Free Member

My little one has a frog tadpole, its been great.

frogstomp

SportPursuit currently have wood and steel balance bikes on offer (RebelKidz) which look similar to the Early Rider ones.. for £50.

g5604
    Free Member

like a bike jumper

rear shox + lightweight makes for a very happy kid.

GrahamS

My advice is the lightest one you can find as you’ll end up carrying it at some point

This +1.

We went for an Islabike Rothan – 3.5kgs, well thought out, rear brake, low standover height, proper tyres, tough and great build quality.

Daughter #1 loved it for 2 years and when she was ready she transitioned to riding a Cnoc pedal bike in literally 20 minutes.
    Daughter #2 is just starting on it.

They are pricey though, so definitely consider buying second hand. If you do then you’ll probably sell it on at much the same price if it doesn’t get too abused.

(Played with a Frog Tadpole and that was also a lovely little bike)

Todchester
    Free Member

I got my lad 2 balance bike the first a avago from toys are us. It didn’t have a brake or a foot plate so I then got a b ‘ twin. Oddly tho he and his brother both prefer the a Vigo. I’m thinking as it is longer thay prefer the a avago but do carry a span er with you thy need constant a just ing D

peabrain
    Free Member

Be careful of the size for a just 2 year old – some can be a bit big. A normal bike with pedals off would be far too big.

You do get your money’s worth out if them – my youngest learnt to ride a pedal bike 3 months after he got his balance bike. More than 3 years after he got his balance bike he is now coming up 5 and still rides it often. It is a trick/stunt bike 8)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What balance bike?’ is closed to new replies.