Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What attracts me to working for a council?
  • jimmy

Doing a job application to work for *a Scottish* council and the first question is "What attracts me to work for ** council?".

Have a couple of ideas, but are there any generic answers as to why one would want to work for a coonsil?

white101

The great salary and pension scheme.

My Mrs works 30hrs a week and gets same as me take home, and secretly I thought I was doing well best salary I've ever had.

Clearly you can't put this on the job app, just my mini rant.

'the opportunity to do great things for a great organisation and making a real difference for local people'

all complete tosh of course, but some of these HR types lap up that kinda cr@p

geoffj

This should be a good one 😆

sofatester
    Free Member

Are you a one legged disabled lesbian from Somalia? If not you haven’t got a hope, so put what you like. 😉

jimmy

white101 – they're pretty much the ideas I had so far!

iDave
    Free Member

'as a gay, disabled, Kurd I appreciate your non-discriminatory and politically correct ethos'

Aristotle
    Free Member

The opportunity to work short hours at a non-job with many meetings, attendance at a lot of 'personal development' courses and little accountability. Generous, compulsory sick leave entitlement. Having the opportunity to file official grievances against management at the drop of a hat that will allow me to be sent home on full pay during the investigation.

-I know that not all councils are like that 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

😆 @ Aristotle – So true is disturbing!

Grimy
    Free Member

The opportunity to work short hours at a non-job with many meetings, attendance at a lot of 'personal development' courses and little accountability. Generous, compulsory sick leave entitlement. Having the opportunity to file official grievances against management at the drop of a hat that will allow me to be sent home on full pay during the investigation.

-I know that not all councils are like that

Just 99.9% of them. Perfectly summed up!

You could add "Because I cant get a job in the private sector where my incompetance and stupidity isn't tolerated"

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I work for Scotlands largest council and one of the good things about working here is the sense of satisfaction when i walk through the city, I am a civil engineer and see people using my work everyday and it makes me happy that I am helping folk in my own little way.

so I'd stick in a wee bit about trying to help the community and do your bit for the people of ……. region

white101

My local council takes great pride in declaring itself a beacon council (whatever that means?) I recently asked for a few more waste bins round the local park for rubbish, dog plop etc…..

'bins are unhygenic and regulary vandalised in public spaces, we have no current plans to increase the number in the location….yours XXXXXX recreational waste officer'

enduro-aid
    Free Member

also @sofatester….do you work for a council?? if not quit your c**p

like i said I work for a council and I am a White Male mid twenties of British background with no kids and in my entire building (100ish folk) there is no one from anything like the background you describe.

do i sense maybe someone who went for a job with a council and was knocked back??

29erKeith
    Free Member

my other half works for a council they've just put out an ad' for a job and got 160+ applicants 90% have no chance, the managers quickly whittled the list down to half a dozen or so that were suitable.
    HR have since told them they have a further 10 to interview because they are disabled in some minority group.
    None of them have relivant skills or experiance but they've been told to interview them regardless!

I'm all for equal oppertunities but whats the point of this!?!? ffs

back on the OP's point yeah stuff about helping the community or something similar

lowey

I would love to work for a council. My Dad did his 40 years as an EHO. Full Pension, Reasonable salary, Job security, flexible hours working, something like 30odd days a year leave.

I dream of such things. I always have a pop at him for letting me get into construction in the private sector.

And yes, I do realise that the grass isnt always greener.

sofatester
    Free Member

enduro-aid– I do as it happens, like you I’m slightly "different" from the majority of people who work here.

[PR mode on]Not that it's a bad thing of course[PR mode off]

cyclistm
    Free Member

29erKeith

For info:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/LookingForWork/DG_4000314

It doesn't just apply to public sector

woodsman
    Free Member

skiving?

grumm
    Free Member

Are you a one legged disabled lesbian from Somalia? If not you haven’t got a hope, so put what you like.

Funny there isn't anyone that fits that description working at my local council. Maybe put down your Daily Mail?

surfer
    Free Member

I did a 3 month contract for a council when I left uni doing some analsysis for them.

After the first week I was called in by my manager who told me I was working too many hours!
    It suited me to drop Mrs Surfer off at work then travel to work myself. Then leave work and pick her up on my way home.
    This didnt fit and meant I was first in and last out. I had to reduce my hours!
    Fortunately the offices were in a nice park so I ran each lunchtime (they had good facilities as well) showered and had lunch. This met with their satisfaction and I was running around 55 miles per week just in my lunchtimes!

surfer
    Free Member

Funny there isn't anyone that fits that description working at my local council. Maybe put down your Daily Mail?

When you say "local council" have you met them all? Also given the millions that are spent each year by many middle sized councils on "agency" staff you probably will never know.
    A ridiculous sterotype it may.

grumm
    Free Member

When you say "local council" have you met them all?

Well I have worked quite a bit with people from the council in my job, plus I have used various council services etc – never seen anyone who wasn't white and non-disabled working there.

Aristotle
    Free Member

never seen anyone who wasn't white and non-disabled working there.

<gasps>
    Prejudice!

I suggest that the chief executive has everybody sent on an "inclusivity and diversity" (refresher) course.

Something must be done, or discussed at length.

Counselling for all is the least they could do.

29erKeith
    Free Member

fair enough cyclistm
    but seems a little pointless to me tbh when the people in question don't have any relivant skills or experiance => 0% chance of getting the job

we have had a couple of disabled people work in the office here in the past and currently have a number of perminant and contract 'minority groups' employeed here too, but they are all qualified to do the job

cyclistm
    Free Member

The theory is they should only get an interview if they meet the minimum requirements. It should avoid the local Manager removing them from the job at first sift based on any prejudice they might have.

scruff
    Free Member

Councils only employ freaky midget werewolf wimmin with no realisation there is a bigworld outside the view of their milk bottle glasses. & Men with really bad BO, long lank balding greasy grey hair in a ponytail using a rubber band.

soobalias
    Free Member

put what you want, last in first out you will be lucky to still have the job in six months.

timc
    Free Member

The fact you will spend most the working week doing **** all, always a winner

sofatester
    Free Member

Sorry, was on my second tea break of the day. Just felt like a quick read to keep up with developments in the real world. 😉

jimmy

SOOBalias – Member

put what you want, last in first out you will be lucky to still have the job in six months.

wow, thanks for the much-needed boost of optimism

jon1973
    Free Member

You could add "Because I cant get a job in the private sector where my incompetance and stupidity isn't tolerated"

But spending all day posting on the STW message board is clearly accepted in the private sector. 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

But spending all day posting on the STW message board is clearly accepted in the private sector.

what's stupid aout that?

jon1973
    Free Member

what's stupid aout that?

Because laziness, stupidity and incompetence DO exist in abundance in the private sector. Anyone who has ever worked for a blue chip company would know that.

alpin
    Free Member

yeah, i know, i know. i'm one of those who used to belong to that group before being self-employed.

now it's just me who loses out.

grantway
    Free Member

Just say with your skills you can benefit the needed
    and you feel better rewarded from doing this than
    giving your skills to the private sector.

Basicay Johnny Rollocks but its constructive crap 😳
    You after benefits and rewarding sick pay !!
    If so im a tax payer you Bastard :mrgreen:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don't even remind me of what I've missed. i left school at 15 (1972) & started as an apprentice vehicle/plant fitter with my local council (City of Durham) did my time then fu**ing left to go self employed as a petrol station proprietor.
    I am now, at 53, a **** prison officer with 13 years to go, who could have been retired with 38 years in with the cooncil!
    Kick me up the arse. Hard.

mrchrispy

fail

takisawa2

I went for a job with our local council a few years a go.
    As soon as I sat down in the interview I knew it was a big mistake.
    Thank heavens they didn't offer me the job.
    What a bunch of total ****, I wouldn't have lasted 5 mins.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What attracts me to working for a council?’ is closed to new replies.