Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What are your thoughts on Electric bikes? I just got one and I LOVE it!
  • boltonjon

I’m sure they are great fun, as with any sort of motorised contraption, be it a petrol or electric kart, a motorbike, a jetski or a ride on lawn mower – they’re all great fun as they allow us to accelerate, go fast and basically hoon around – which all blokes like doing

That’s not my issue – my issue is the long term damage to the sport, be that exponential growth, land access issues and the inevitable arms race to have the biggest, fastest and flashest e-bike out there.

In my eyes, biking should be pure. You, the bike, your fitness & resourcefulness to have an amazing adventure – which to me is the very essence of mountain biking….

taxi25
    Free Member

In my eyes, biking should be pure. You, the bike, your fitness & resourcefulness to have an amazing adventure – which to me is the very essence of mountain biking….

I agree completely, but ebike fans won’t have it. But times have moved on and they exist now so no point ranting against them. I hope they don’t cause access problems, but only time will.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m sure the government will find a way to tax these essentially motorised vehicles. Especially as they aren’t specifically for disabled use

kerley
    Free Member

That’s not my issue – my issue is the long term damage to the sport, be that exponential growth, land access issues and the inevitable arms race to have the biggest, fastest and flashest e-bike out there.

but that is just in your head, it is not actually a real issue.

boltonjon

Its certainly not just inside my head – there are plenty of others highlighting the same concerns

Trail centres in the US banning them?

Multiple articles in various MTB publications?

Huge disagreement throughout the STW massive?

Toddboy
    Free Member

I just can’t bring myself to buy one, not after I learned that the hoverboard in Back to the Future was NOT really skateboarding!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rusty spanner. The bafang kit doesn’t arrive till next Monday it’s sitting in customs atm

dwazzer
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive messages guys! Also, I appreciate the sceptics points of view as well…I don’t see them being a menace though, as long as they are kept as pedal assist and limited to under 16mph! Anything that allows people to enjoy the sport is surely a good thing is it not? Even if the ‘non disabled’ out there use them, it just means more distance covered therefore more FUN 😉 got to be a good thing!

wrecker
    Free Member

Target audience!
    Glad you’re back out buddy.
    When I’m physically incapable of using a normal bike, I’m sure I’ll get one.

mwazzer
    Free Member

I don’t mind you being faster on the climbs, Dad, as long as you don’t go down the other side faster!

I’m definitely not against E-Bikes until one over takes me going up hill, then I’m jealous!

snotrag

“I’m sure the government will find a way to tax these essentially motorised vehicles.”

Damn right, they should tax them just like cars. Does anyone know how much tax you pay on an electric car…?

dwazzer
    Free Member

“I’m sure the government will find a way to tax these essentially motorised vehicles.”

Damn right, they should tax them just like cars. Does anyone know how much tax you pay on an electric car…?

Hahaha…..Good point! 😀

deanfbm
    Free Member

I think it’s brilliant that they’ve allowed you to get out riding and enjoy, you’d need to be a hermit to berate you.

If you’re an able 20, 30 or even 40 something, really!!!!!!

PS I can’t the the attraction of one for anything other than full on xc, sitting in the saddle twiddling the pedals. The issue I have with the is stop pedalling, it’s the equivalent the braking, how are you meant to do more serious riding like that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The issue I have with the is stop pedalling, it’s the equivalent the braking, how

Ridden any modern ones . What you say is true of non geared hub motors but a good quality geared hub motor or mid mount don’t drag like that

ulysse
    Free Member

Right. Vinyl or MP3?

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s was a top of the line haibike. Botch motor maybe

trail_rat
    Free Member

well if it stopped under its own accord then it sounds broken

bosch motor shouldnt do that when working correctly.

unless you were just infact going up hill and the weight just meant it lost momentum fast

rusty spanner. motor should arrive tomorrow but this is the concept – bafang mid mount motor /cranks/Microswitched brakes. set up to provide assistance and stop assisting at 15.5mph. – still faster than the average journey across town in daylight hours.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What are your thoughts on Electric bikes? I just got one and I LOVE it!’ is closed to new replies.