Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What are you using for your whites?
  • barca
    Free Member

And all your other colours for that matter?
    I'm having to spend rather a large amount of my day getting from one place to the next by bike and therefore, my cycling clothes are in a permanent state of being worn, washed or dried ready for the next session. My mileage is going to go over what should be ace but is becoming a gruelling 250 miles this week. Not as much fun as it should be made worse by the omnipresent scent of amonia.
    I thought I'd got a whiff of it on Monday from under my desk, wasn't here yesterday but then this morning when I was chucking some gear in the washer…..yerk, that was eye wateringly nasty.
    It's pretty much exclusively Gore Bike Wear with the odd item of Assos and Rapha. I abandoned my Smelly Hansen for this very reason.
    Anybody else suffered with and over come the demon whiff? Persil is currently employed but would appear to be failing.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think some people are just cursed with the stale sweaty smell form cycling clothes and just can't get rid, I guess it's down the their type of sweat.

I'm quite lucky and it's even been commented on how nice I smell when people ride behind me.

DezB
    Free Member

Fairy Non-bio.

Whiff free, but I'm not a smelly person.

joemarshall
    Free Member

We use some kind of hippy environmental stuff that comes in little things that look like sweets, and wash at 30 degrees. Oh and I dry them on the line if possible – things are way more fresh after drying in the wind.

For commuting (I do quite a long commute too, although not 250 miles of commuting in a normal week), I have 6 polaris jerseys, which I wear for one day each then wash. I just wear normal shorts, so can't give advice on them. I find that as long as I wash the jerseys and only wear em for one day it is okay.

I have had one jersey that got tainted with the demon whiff – after a very very muddy tough guy race (basically it was 8 miles of running through mud pits and crawling under nets in mud etc.). I think once they have it, it's hard to get rid. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between expensiveness of jerseys and tendency to smell, so I'd buy cheapish ones if you have a problem with smell (decathlon do okay quality cheap ones), I only have fancy £40 each polaris ones because I got em dirt cheap in a sponsorship deal a while back. It is worth trying a too hot wash with your jerseys if they still smell after a normal wash though, I know some people do that every so often.

Oh and probably obvious but I always start out a ride a bit chilly, rather than wearing tons of jackets etc. so I don't sweat too bad except in summer. And I have a saddlebag for my gear, so I don't get a sweaty back.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh and I am an absolute stinkster by the way – if I wear a jersey for two days in a row, that can be a bit minging.

Joe

nickc

Wash at 40degs and if you can, line dry them. the wash temp and UV from sunlight kills the bacteria that make clothes smell.

Kit
    Free Member

Merino. Merino. Merino.

Anything made of cotton or synthetic fabrics is going to reek. Merino garments just smell of damp wool until they dry out. I'm pretty sweaty and I can leave my merino t-shirts unwashed in a drawer for a couple of weeks and they don't smell.

Not tried merino socks yet, but thinking of some for the winter.

The only thing I can't get to stop stinking are gloves.

P.S. I use Ecover washing liquid, 30 degrees.

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Apparently, there is a strong smell of wheat in here today. This is getitng really embarrasing.
    Not just commuting miles Joe. I have to ride home and then ride over to Man City for the match tonight. That's going to be an interesting scene in the loo's, I'm still not sure how I'm going to get round getting cleaned up before kick off.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What are you using for your whites?’ is closed to new replies.