Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • "What are you salary aspirations?" – applying for jobs
  • mogrim

Well that once again begs the question, why don’t they just publish what they think the job is worth, rather than attracting over-qualified people to apply and then wasting everyone’s time?

This, +1000. The Spanish IT sector is terrible for this, post up job offers but never include the salary range.

boblo
    Free Member

@junky. They often don’t state salary as they don’t want to piss the existing workforce off.

You’re rarely in a stronger position to negotiate salary than on your way in. This means employees pay relative to market rate usually degrades over time. Makes the case for moving on every few years to reset and explains why sometimes they choose not to advertise the rate.

dyls

Im also weary of advertised jobs with no salary, hence dont apply for them that often. I prefer to know the range before i apply / waste everyones time, including myself.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

“that’s…much more than anyone else and I’m not sure we should continue next week”.

“Sorry, I didn’t realise you were aiming for second or third rate. Perhaps you should have included that in the advert”

DT78
    Free Member

If you are right at the top of the hiring managers budget, or even over it you and you’ll be on significantly more than existing staff you may find you won’t be getting much of a pay rise for quite some time if you do take the role.

Obviously depends on the size of the company and their pay policy. Bigger they are more likely the above.

nickdavies

I can understand your hesitation, but it seems through the conversation we have just had, that I have a skill set and approach that is an excellent match for the position. Can I suggest that we put the salary package aside for now, go ahead with the interview and if I am the best candidate on skill, experience and fit with the company we come back to salary and benefits? After all, are you looking for the best candidate or the cheapest ?

That’s hands down the best way of ending that conversation. At the end of the day to me a job interview is a sales pitch – you’re there to sell yourself and those who do will stand out above the rest.

brassneck

I’ve got the skills and experience for the job, and I think I’m worth it. If I solve one problem early, I’ll have covered my salary for the year… But otoh if he can get that somewhere else for cheaper – good luck to him, I suppose, and I hope the rest of the employers don’t hear about it!

It’s always very easy to find someone cheaper. Adding competent to that costs.

If they have a salary in mind, they should publish it. The lack of applicants or the stream of pish that turns up might demonstrate they are not in the right ball park.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends where in the country you’re moving from too as well though surely?

I was looking at moving ‘oop-north and it would entail a pay cut. Which was acceptable to me, but the missus pay would be cut by a similar ammount and as she earns less than me it was a much higher percentage (especialy after tax).

If I was asked that question for a job in Manchester or Teesside I’d have to set my sights at least 20% below what I’d ask for in the South East (or Abberdeen last year).

wrecker
    Free Member

Their language i.e “aspiration” suggests to me that they are tightfists.
    My aspirations and expectations are different things.

They are either at the cheap end of the market, or maxing profits at the expense of the staff.
    The fact that they have indicated that it’s not even worth meeting because of your salary expectations would make me walk. Even if they pay you it, they’ll be looking for ways to bring you back in line eventually and if they hit hard times the biggest expenditure will be first to go.

And the recruiter need a kick in the balls.

Cougar

I would not apply for a job that did not state salary

Sadly, IME that’s “most of them.” It’s really, really annoying. If they don’t want the existing workforce to see offered salaries they should pay them properly on a fixed scale instead. If you think you’ve got something to hide because you’ve got two equally able people in the same position on a different salary, the fact is that you have.

Grr, argh, etc.

blurty

It’s just offer & acceptance – all part of deal-making. Just put down your what you want & see what they say.

No drama

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘"What are you salary aspirations?" – applying for jobs’ is closed to new replies.