Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What are you reading?
  • sweepy
    Free Member

The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss- most original fantasy book since LOTR, except maybe Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

johnners
    Free Member

Just rest assured that I'm reading something so incredibly niche and utterly brilliant that none of you proles will have heard of it, nor ever will.

Superb.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just rest assured that I'm reading something so incredibly niche and utterly brilliant that none of you proles will have heard of it, nor ever will.

iPad user manual.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Just finishing the Jacques Anquetil book, then i'm gonna start the latest James Ellroy that i got for xmas.

porterclough
    Free Member

Do you find those books in the history section of the bookshop now?

So I should be reading what to be uber current?

johnners
    Free Member

uber current

Lordy. I only hope you're kidding.

nbt

sweepy – Member

The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss- most original fantasy book since LOTR, except maybe Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

Picked that up on a whim on a laoyver in Atlanta airport last year when I finished the book I'd taken out. BRILLIANT, couldn't put it down. I was half way through it before we got back to the UK

as for me

last: The Edge, Chris Simms (Crime. local author for me)
    current: The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie (sweepy, pick this up if you like Rothfuss)
    next: Fatal Revenant, Stephen R Donaldson

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Just finished Swallows and Amazons – Arhtur Ransome

Reading now Homage to Caledonia – its about the scottish folk who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War

Then, I'll be reading either Phil Daniel's autobiog or the new number 1 Ladies Detective Agency one.

redthunder
    Free Member

This ***** thread.

hh45
    Free Member

Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer.

stucol
    Free Member

Now – Imperium by Robert Harris ( for the 3rd time)
    Before – The man who cycled the world.
    Before again – Pandaemonium by Christopher Brookmyer
    Before that – Dawdling by the Danube by Edward Enfield (Harry's dad on his bike)

unovolo
    Free Member

Last=The Graveyard Book-Neil Gaiman
    Current=Coldheart Canyon-Clive Barker
    Next=Sign of the Cross-Chris Kuzneski

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fascinating so far.

Not sure what's next. Might be the new Jasper Fforde.

westkipper
    Free Member

Currently 'The Fire Engine That Disappeared'-one of the Martin Beck books
    Och, and 'Zombo' in 2000ad

CountZero

Last: The Midnight Mayor by Kate Griffin, brilliant modern fantasy involving urban magic.
    Current: The Monk by Matthew Lewis, interesting ebook novel set in 18th C Europe.
    Next: the new Horatio Lyle mystery by Catherine Webb, Kate Griffin's alter-ego and real name, steampunk style detective novel aimed at teens, but just as good a read for adults.

ShoePolice
    Free Member

Go on, once more…

This thread!! Ahahahahaha…. hahahaha… hahaha

jebus 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The latest bit of morbid religious cretinicity courtesy of Joebones…

delusional
    Free Member

now: world war z

What a great book that is! I just reread it a couple of weeks ago and have since got several others reading it. The first time I read it it had me assessing everything for Zombie defense for weeks. Really well thought out and written.

For me:

Previous: Jim Crace – The Pesthouse. It was the culmination of a bit of a post-apocalypse reading spree for me and probably the weakest of the lot. Not a bad book, but not great.
    Current: Iain M Banks – Matter. Again, alright. It's quite an enjoyable book, but I can't help but feel it's sliding pretty well into hackneyed fantasy disguised as space opera.
    Next: Not sure yet. I've been reading a lot about The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe lately so I may have to reread that.

Dave
    Free Member

Psychovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick – best read for a while

matthewjb
    Free Member

Current: Iain M Banks – Matter. Again, alright.

It gets better towards the end. But not his best.

scratch
    Free Member

Psychovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick – best read for a while

That's been on the list for a while.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just finished the Hyperion and Endymion chronicles by Dan Simmons. There is a quote from Ian M Banks on the cover, which I can't help feeling was taken out of context 😉 I enjoyed the books, but was halfway through the nth reading of East of Eden when I started so perhaps unfair references were made… Next I will either finish that again or read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

white101

rusty, the new books good but I thought that cold 6000 and tabloid were better.

Picked up a Mob Hayder book months ago and quite enjoyed so I got The Treatment recently and have really enjoyed it, not a nice subject but great storytelling

CountZero

ShoePolice – Member
    Go on, once more…
    This thread!! Ahahahahaha…. hahahaha… hahaha
    jebus

Your point is?

simonralli2
    Free Member

portlyone

Prev: The Wheel of Time, book 4
    Now: The Wheel of Time, 5
    Next the Wheel of Time, 6

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

China Mieville – Perdido Street Station (not bad, bit baggy but I guess that's the price of the Geneva Convention relative to the Publishing of Fantasy Fiction and Minimum Page Numbers)

Nick Goodrick-Clarke – The Western Esoteric Traditions (well researched, nicely written but then his stuff usually is)

next:
    David Mitchell – Ghost Writer
    Alan Dundes – Parsing Through Customs: Essays by a Freudian Folklorist.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Gosh we're a high-brow lot…
    Now I'm reading the Ender series, before I read the Dirk Pitt saga.
    E-books and long train commutes are great.

The Tom Sawyer couple of books was one of the best set of recent months.

Reading The Hobbit to my 3 year old at the moment (suitably censored in places).

bommer
    Free Member

in no particular order – they're all dotted round the flat

Don quixote
    The boys 1-5
    Tim Key's book
    'moving pictures' by Terry Pratchett
    'Peat smoke and spirit' – Andrew Jefford
    Fermat's last theorem – Simon Singh

JxL
    Free Member

In the process of writing my dissertation, so the bibliography goes as follows….

Elliot, Nills (2006). Mediating Nature. New York: Routledge. 284
    Fromm, Harold. Glotfelty, Cheryll. (1996). The Ecocriticism Reader. Athens: University of Georgia Press. 415
    Clarke, Graham (1997). The Photograph. New York: Oxford University Press. 247.
    Foster, H. Krauss, R. Bois, Y. Buchloh, B. (1997). Art since 1900. London: Thames & Hudson Ltd. 704.
    Company, David (2007). Art and Photography. 2nd ed. London: Phaidon Press Limited. 304.
    Manghani, S. Piper, A. Simons, J. (2006). Images: A Reader. London: Sage Publications Ltd. 331.
    Burke, Edmund (1998). A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and the Beautiful. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press. 173
    Cronon, William (1996). Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature. New York: W.W Norton & Company, Inc. 560
    Burtynski, Edward (2007). Quarries. Germany: Steidl. 190
    Shaw, Philip (2006). The Sublime – The New Critical Idiom. Oxon: Routledge. 168
    Lyotard, Jean Francois (1984). The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge. Manchester: Manchester University Press. 144. Pp 24-7
    Lyotard, Jean Francois (1989). The Lyotard Reader. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. 425
    Longinus, ed Russell (1965). Longinus on Sublimity. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 56
    Marshal, Peter (1992). Nature’s Web: Rethinking Our Place On Earth. London: Cassell. 513
    Murray, Christopher John (2004), Encyclopedia of the Romantic Era, 1760-1850, London: Taylor & Francis.
    Wordsworth, William (1936). The Poetical Works of Wordsworth. London: Oxford University Press
    Koerner, Joseph (2009). Casper David Friedrich and the Subject of Landscape. London: Reaktion Books Ltd. 327
    Powell, Earl (1990). Thomas Cole. New York: Harry N. Abrams. 144
    Bois, Catherine (2000). The Natural Sublime In Wordsworth’s Poetry and Romantic Landscape Paintings. Circles. 70
    Connor, Steve (1997). Postmodernist Culture: An Introduction to the Theories of the Contemporary. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd. 327.
    Lyon, David (1995). Postmodernity. 2nd ed. Buckingham: Open University Press. 104.
    Henning, M. Holland, P. Lister, M, Price, D. Ramamurthy, A. Wells, L (2004) Third edition. Edited by Liz Wells. Photography: A Critical Introduction. New York: Routledge. 424.

Needless to say, can't wait til its over!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just finished the Skylark series by EE Doc Smith. Again. For the umpteenth time. Stephen Baxter "The Flood" next I think.

Denis99
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member
    Was looking for a cycling non-friction so looks like Mark Beaumont – The cyclist who rode round the world
    Is that any good? I watched a bit of one of the TV programs and decided that, if those were anything to go by, the book most be very tedious.

I enjoy Josie Dew's books – she does set out to experience the areas she visits, not just get through them as quickly as possible.

epicsteve
    Yes, I liked it alot, and read the whole book in a week (which is unusual for me), more interesting than the tv series.

thepurist

Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell. Heard so many references to it of late that I thought I should give it a go. Only 50 or so pages in and not exactly gripped yet.

and

Memories, Dreams, Reflections – Carl Jung. Cos the mind is a fascinating thing to explore.

sharkbait
    Free Member

"The Google Story" by David Vice.

hainey
    Free Member

Currently The Outliers – very good so far.

mtbfix

Have now moved on from Stalingrad and D-Day to Anthony Beevor's 'Berlin'. Truly saddening the way that people are treated by soldiers in war. The Red Army seemed to rape and murder its way west once the Reich began to crumble. Depressing stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm reading bloody STW aren't I? Obviously!

I was reading Cities in Flight by James Blix (?) but I got bored.

I read 'A Pirate of Exquisite Mind' which was good, about William Dampier

I also read 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King, which was alright. Kind of laboured but still somehow a pageturner.

Still in the middle of Schama's excellent History of Britain, now where'd I put that?

domino

Just finished 'Kill Your Friends' by John Niven – a bit American Psycho but British, it make you squirm as you read.

Next read is 'Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons – Travels in Sicily on a vespa' By Matthew Fort – a book sure to make me hungry as I read.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Reading "One Day" by David Nicholls – typical airport book (or so I thought) that I didn't get round to reading on holiday.

Definitely the best character led novel I've read in years – absolutely unputdownable… Witty, clever and strikes so many chords. Brilliant.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The fiercely impressive Chris Hitchens.

http://www.slate.com/id/2248557/

Personally, I think when Ratzinger steps off the plane at Heathrow in September, we should have him arrested and tried before a court of law, and suitably sentenced.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading?’ is closed to new replies.