• This topic has 63 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • What are you reading?
  • BigJohn

A couple of mentions up there to the Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. The bloke on the front cover is me. My daughter is the illustrator and asked me to pose a few shots. I think she must have photoshopped me slimmer.

Bit annoyed that nobody got my anti-gravity gag though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

P.G. Wodehouse-Jeeves and Wooster

I go back to them about every other year, and still laugh like a hyena reading them. Comic deliciousness.

ourmaninthenorth

Finished Addlands by Tom Bullough at the weekend. Supremely well written about life on the edges set in the Welsh Borders (“Addlands” is local dialect for the headlands of the fields).

About to start The Djinn in the Skull by Samantha Herron.

nxgater

The Future History of The Arctic by Charles Emmerson. Really compelling and I’ve learned a lot even though only half way thru. For instance I now know how Canada came to be and that the US purchased Alaska for $7.2m from Russia. At the time it seems both US citizens and Russians each thought they had been robbed.

bodgy
    Free Member

On book ten of ten of Bernard Cornwall’s ‘Last Kingdom’ series. Taken nearly a year to read the lot, back to back.

No; I’v not seen the TV programme, nor will I.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Free country by George Mahood… funny!

niksnr
    Free Member

The Three by Sarah Lotz. Can’t put it down

BoardinBob

“The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid” by Bill Bryson.

Just hilarious and a wonderful recollection of a far simpler time

cookeaa

Rereading Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Blue Mars”, the best science fiction novel ever written

I’ve only just started Blue Mars having Read Red and Green in quick succession last year…

I’ve a backlog on the kindle now with “Leviathan Wakes” and some other books to get to, plus I downloaded some book on the Tour Divide I need to pick up again…

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I am also a bit of a Phillip K Dick-head but have never read The Man in the High Castle, so will be getting on it as I have started the TV series.

My current thinky book is A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James, and my non-thinky books are the Jack Reacher series. The Feynman book mentioned earlier is excellent too.

spawnofyorkshire

Currently got three on the go

Star Wars Aftermath: Empires End
    Leviathan Wakes (First Expanse novel)
    And my Granddads lake district walking guidebook from 1935

nicko74

Just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings that I found cheap in the local bookshop. Although a bit of a slog at first, it became very compelling. Now changing gears with a bit of James Herriott, but looking forward to Perdido Street that I have lined up next – hoping it’s more like The Scar than Iron Council.

bigblackshed

jimoiseau – Member
    I am also a bit of a Phillip K Dick-head but have never read The Man in the High Castle, so will be getting on it as I have started the TV series.

The TV series only has a passing reference of similarity to the book.

I’m part way through Celts by Dr Alice Roberts and Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Rivers of London was described to me as “Policeman Harry Potter solves crimes whilst meddling with the River Gods… With swearing”. Not quite, but it’s easy reading and quite fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just finished Faster by Michael Hutchinson.

Just started Corsa Rosa; a history of the Giro D’Italia by Brendan Gallagher. Hopefully finish it just as the race starts so I will be able to bore people with factoids for 3 weeks.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, Natasha Pulley.

S’ok.

RustySpanner

Treasure Island.
    First time too.
    🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

Last: Odyessey – Homer

Filler: Salvador Dali: Eccentric and Genius – Conroy Maddox

Now: Sword of Honour – Evelyn Waugh

Next: Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell

sofabear
    Free Member

Having not a read a book in over a year I’ve got two on the go just now:

“The Curse of Brink’s Mat” by Wensley Clarkson. A non-fiction book about the heist and the unexpected waves which followed in its wake,

“Bent Coppers” by Graeme McLagan. Another non-fiction about corrupt Metropolitan police officers.

Northwind

hamishthecat – Member

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, Natasha Pulley.

S’ok.

Oh man, I loved that. Absolutely destroyed it on holiday in the lakes, sat on a rock beside windermere reading in the dark for hours.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Red Fortress – a history of the Kremlin.
    Agree that In Search of Robert Miller is an excellent read.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

+1 for The Expanse series.

Just reading the third Fire and Ice book (Game of Thrones).

Great reads even if you’ve seen the TV show. In fact, you’re better off watching the tV show first then reading the books otherwise the TV show will seem average.

johnny

A selection on the go, as usual;

“The Wake”, by Paul Kingsnorth. It’s great but the phonemic/cod Anglo Saxon script is a bit of a haul.

Re-Reading “The things the carried” by Tim O’Brien. Still awesome Vietnam narrative.

“Landmarks” by Robert Macfarlane. Only read the preface of his latest, this time on the link between dialect and language. I suspect it will take preference over the other two now I’ve started!

whitestone
    Free Member

A couple on the go:

“Nowt but a fleein’ Thing” by Al Phizacklea. It’s the history of climbing on the crags of Scafell.

“The strange last voyage of Donald Crowhurst” – what it says on the tin really. Entered a round the world solo yacht race, lost his bottle, lost his sanity and eventually stepped off the boat.

pondo

That Crowhurst book is great – there’s another good book about the race, think it’s A Voyage For Madmen ot something, if you want some further reading.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading?’ is closed to new replies.