Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What are these? (old bike parts content)
  • crispedwheel
    Free Member

I bought a large box of old bike spares at an auction last summer and have gradually been sorting through it, keeping some stuff and puting the rest on ebay. It looked like it belonged to an amatuer bike tinkerer/enthuasiast. Most of it was quite straightforward to identify (sturmey archer, sachs, simplex, campagnolo components and parts). I’m left with a tobacco tin of stuff that I’m not sure about, and wondered if anyone could help, please.

My best guess is that the black and cream plastic, and most of the metal ones, are cable stops/ends/guides of some sort – but there’s various shapes and sizes there which I’m not sure if they’re specific to a particular brand/groupset?
    And then the stuff at the top are removable inner tube value cores?

It’s been interesting learning about all this stuff, and these last bits are bugging me now!

cable stops? by Crisped Wheel, on Flickr
    TIA

boxelder

Valve cores top right.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

are the cream plastic things reversible valves for track pumps

Taff
    Free Member

Brake cable end guides. You normally get those on the other side of a cheap brakes cable set. Never get used by modern day bikes,

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Glad that I was right on the valve cores!

Taff – do you mean all of them, or just the plastic ones?

Macavity
    Free Member

Woods valve cores and retaining caps, top row.

Sturmey Archer 3 speed trigger cable ferrules , bottom row.

Rest is an assortment of Weinmann and Clarks cable stops ferrules.

Some of them will be from the will fit everything Universal replacement cables that had fittings that were surplus to requirement.

Pieface

On old fashioned / cheap roadie levers there’s often a plastic bung to hold the cable into the top / hood of the brake lever (maybe)

oldgit
    Free Member

They look a bit like the cable outlet guides from old style levers like Wienmann, Mafac GB etc?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Great, that all makes sense. There were a few 3-speed SA shifters in the box, and some Weinmann brake levers. Interesting that you could get Universal cables sets with a variety of fittings too – explains why some look unused.

alexpalacefan

+1 Pieface, that’s exactly what the cream and black things are.

APF

epicyclo

All useful stuff. Hang on to it.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

All useful stuff. Hang on to it.

Epicyclo – can you email me please? Can’t see an email in your profile. Thanks

toys19
    Free Member

also used lots on bmx brake levers.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies – happy that I know what these are now. I’m currently downsizing my spare parts box, and I’m sure these will be more use to someone else than me. So, if anyone wants them for the cost of postage, please email me – address in profile.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What are these? (old bike parts content)’ is closed to new replies.