• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What are the pros/cons of Straight Pull spokes?
  • br
    Free Member

Looking at a new pair of wheels (Hope Hoops), Hope Pro 2's with 355's – but do I go SP or not?

I realise they are lighter, but are there other advantages – and obviously there must be some disadvantages?

akira

Should be stronger as the elbow bit of the spoke is the weak part but often spares are not as readily available.

orangerider1970
    Free Member

Also alot stiffer as you don't have the flex in the bend.

njee20
    Free Member

Spares are virtually impossible to come by and truing them is a bugger as there's nowt to stop them rotating.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One plus of some of the straight pulls is the slotted option, which would allow you to change a broken spoke without removing cassette/rotor. Could be useful!

One minus is that not all bike shops carry the required spares!

dave_aber
    Free Member

Hit the wheel hard enough, and a spoke can un-hook from the slotted flange. Had this happen twice. Once was a really heavy hit into a trench that the FC had left in a downhill section at about 25mph. **** hurt too!

trail_rat
    Free Member

dave that cant happen with the hopes as they go through holes not slots like crappy mavics

dave_aber
    Free Member

that'll teach me for being cheap then!!

Running Hope ProII's on my other bike.

How often do spokes actually break at the bend anyway?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

If a wheel's well built using quality components, spokes shouldn't really break anyway.
    I prefer traditional 3 cross patterns, reliable, strong, they just work! Also stiffer afaik as each spoke supports others, unlike radial. I've got some data somewhere if I can be bothered to dig it out about both.

fackit
    Free Member

Speaking form experience 'dave_aber' – twice in a month.

Got Pro3 SP-AMs now and they're mint. strong, stiff and light.

And Njee, SP spokes are only a call to any dealer who sells the 'SP' complete build wheelsets away.

The only disadvantages imo are cost.

br
    Free Member

Ok, so they're lighter which we already knew.

And I ought to ensure that the spare spokes they come with are in my spares box – and TBH I've only broken 1 spoke in the last five years.

But no real downsides?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What are the pros/cons of Straight Pull spokes?’ is closed to new replies.