Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What are the go-to 29er wheels for a single speed?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Wondering whether a new set of (lighter) wheels will transform my Kona Unit from a bike that feels magnetically attracted to the Earth’s core to one that might be a bit keener to get its wheels off the ground and feel a bit sprightlier.

What are the go-to hoops for shaving weight whilst still being tough, natch?

(PS I don’t need burly; I have a full suss for “proper” riding)

tom200

Spare ones you have lying around for me! I doulbt you will be shredding much gnar, so some light xc ones should suffice. I a running some stans arch ex 29 on xt hubs with spacers. Single speed rear hub would obviously be preferable, but less versatile.

oldnpastit

Tubeless ones with lighter tyres than the ones you’ve got?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tubeless ones with lighter tyres than the ones you’ve got?

Everyone knows the the unwritten reason people come on here asking for buying advice is that they want to buy some new toys. Not sure that tyres and Stan’s gloop will scratch that itch 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Shaving weight and being tough aren’t things that usually go together.

If it was me i’d build stans crests on a hope SS hub

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Shaving weight and being tough aren’t things that usually go together.

If your starting point is something cheap and cheerful, chances are you can get something lighter and stronger. If you’re already well down that upgrade path it’s diminishing returns.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far…

wwaswas

budget?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hope’s website suggests 29″ Crest are not available 😕 Evans suggesting the same. Even Merlin seem to be out of stock of a few 29er rims. I think I’ve lost interest already.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

budget?

£300 for a pair, give or take, but certainly don’t want to be getting near £400.

wwaswas

I’d look at Superstar with some lightweight rims for that money. Just get a wide bottom cog and accept some gouging in the freehub. They were doing a 25% off everything sale recently – may still be running?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

thanks. I’ll have a look later.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What are the go-to 29er wheels for a single speed?’ is closed to new replies.