Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • what are the advantages of 1×11?
  • taxi25
    Free Member

I’m not completely sold on 1×11 yet. I have a fairly narrow cadence sweet spot. The ratio gaps on 1×11 are bit wide for me. Add in if I load my legs up they die and I can’t spin a high cadence like some people, so all of my 29er 26/39-11×36 get used every ride in my neck of the woods. I’ve git Sram xx and it works perfectly, it never drops the chain weighs a few ounces and I can find any gear I want more or less instantly. Ride what works for you, but I do wonder if the guys I see pushing up hills with their 1×10-11 have made the right choice.
    Racing aside if I’m out for a bike ride I like to keep riding whether thats 2mph or 60mph.

chestrockwell

When ‘new’ products come out that prove to be popular, those who don’t like or can’t afford them inevitably find numerous reasons why they’re not so good and that they’re just the result of marketing hype, like everyone buying them are just brainless sheep…

If that’s directed at me you’re way off. I don’t dislike 1x and may even look at it in the future if I decide to consolidate my bikes in to a couple for specific uses instead of having a collection that cover the same bases. Don’t like Sram but the Shimano stuff could work. I’m defo interested in 2×11 as well and cost is not an issue.

andyt28
    Free Member

I have1x11 on my SC Bronson , the issue I have is once the chain/cassette becomes dirty or covered in mud etc, it becomes very noisy with feedback through the pedals which is annoying and distracting, does anyone else have the same issue. The bikes been back to LBS who checked all indexing and alignment but the problem still happens after a few miles.

andylc
    Free Member

Weirdly my SRAM 1×11 is often slightly noisier when completely clean at the beginning of a ride, then once it’s a bit grimed up a bit it’s really quiet!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hmm. Maybe that’s my problem – riding again yesterday and still having indexing problems at either end of the cassette. Might just be the noise you’re describing.

The chain runs at a pretty nasty angle – that’s probably what causes the noise. A bit of dirt might just damp the vibrations a bit

deadkenny
    Free Member

andylc – Member
    Weirdly my SRAM 1×11 is often slightly noisier when completely clean at the beginning of a ride, then once it’s a bit grimed up a bit it’s really quiet!

That’s a symptom I get now since I changed to Squirt lube. Great stuff and one of the advantages is you don’t run a gunked up chain that’s sucking in dirt and gunking up the cassette, but that’s also contributing to noise as the chain rattles more, even if the rollers are wax coated and it’s running & shifting smooth. At least that’s what I’ve concluded. Not too noisy though.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I did the Scott Marathon at Church Stretton this weekend on my new bike – a lightweight FS with XX1. Normally I can climb the steepest stuff on my 29er HT but I seriously missed the lowest gear. I had to push on some of the climbs and was gutted. I may go to a 30t and sacrifice some of the top end. Other than that, I love it.

beano68
    Free Member

Got 1×11 on the spesh enduro and initially I found it strange but now I think its the way to go 😀

Great for positive gear changes and easy to setup

Only problem is the bloody price of a new sram cassette !

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘what are the advantages of 1×11?’ is closed to new replies.