Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What are STWers paying for coal?
  • footflaps

Just looking at getting a few 100kg of smokeless coal delivered, what’s a fair price? Web wise all I can find are places like http://www.coals2u.co.uk, which aren’t that different from the prices my local HW store does 25kg bags (£12/25kg).

Currently I’m using Homefire Ovals, but no idea whether they are the best value for money…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Local merchant 25 kg @ 7.80 a bag, good quality smokeless.
    For 12 quid you can get his finest Scottish chunky stuff.

footflaps

That’s a fair saving, will have to phone around as the local guys don’t seem to have websites.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve just realised who the op is on this thread. Come on footflaps there’s a lot of folk waiting on a shed update 😀

footflaps

Yeah, that thread was stressing me out as I felt I had to endlessly defend things, so I’ve stopped looking at it. However, update is: parted company with brickie as he wouldn’t budge on labour rate and he would have taken another three weeks. I’m cutting out the pillar at the WE and a potential new brickie is coming on Saturday to look at the job and tell me if/when he might be able to start. If he can’t do it, looking at starting in Dec/Jan as every other brickie I’ve phoned is maxxed out and quoting 2013 availability! Or possibly I can do it piecemeal at weekends…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well good luck and I can understand the abstinence! Thought you took all the ribbing and advice in great spirit. Back to coal, that was 25 kg collected, not delivered.

footflaps

Thought you took all the ribbing and advice in great spirit.

I did up to a point, then it just got too much, so I thought best ignore it. Feel a lot better for parting company with brickie as I now have a breathing space to reflect. NB Building Control were happy to just rebuild the middle pier, so I’ve just ordered a massive reciprocating saw and blade to cut out the offending pier…

taka
    Free Member

we sell home fire ovals at £9.10/20kg or £20.60/50kg or proper coal (trebles) is £7.20/20kg or £15.40/50kg different coal yards have different names for different coals i.e. XL ovoids can also be known a Excel

footflaps

taka – is that delivered and anywhere near Cambridge?

taka
    Free Member

afraid not its keighley west yorks and collected

tommytowtruck

No idea about smokeless but we are paying £15/50Kg for “best” coal, and £12/50Kg for crappy coal – delivered.

Drac

£16 here for a 50kg bag of Formed Oval Bricks delivered and usual the same day. They even pop buy at random times and ask if I need any.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@Wrightyson – where’s that coal from? My son has a coal fire and is looking for the cheapest in Belper.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Coal merchant in heage. Think the name is hodgkinsons, bungalow just on the left as you’re climbing up the hill towards the white hart pub coming from belper.
    Lovely old dear who sells it from the house while husband and son are out delivering.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheers Wrightyson, thought it might be them 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What are STWers paying for coal?’ is closed to new replies.