Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What are North Face like with warranties?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

My wife has a very expensive full length coat which we estimate is about 4 or 5 years old. It has been well looked after and barely ever (if at all) washed – just gets wiped down with a wet cloth when necessary.

However it has lost most of its waterproofing properties which is obviously not ideal.

Before I start trying to find ways of reproofing it, would there be any chance of them looking at it as a claim (I ask because I know some companies such as Mountain Equipment will warranty pretty much any claim irrespective of garment age).

Cheers

legend
    Free Member

What sort of jacket is it? You might have a claim if it has a membrane such as Gore-Tex that’s leaking. If it’s just a DWR then you should be re-activating that periodically

hammyuk
    Free Member

Depends on them tbh.

They swapped my insulated boots without quibble after they split wide open in Iceland however they are dicking me about on the tent despite it being a known issue with the silicone liner on the fly.

johndoh
    Free Member

Legend – it’s this one so it has ‘DryVent’ waterproofing.

chiefgrooveguru

Is the problem rain coming through (often at seams) or is the outer face wetting out causing a loss of breathability and thus heavy condensation inside?

johndoh
    Free Member

Not entirely sure chief – my wife says that the padding has moved around so over the shoulders there is essentially no padding at all and it is coming through there – perhaps this is because now both the internal and external layer are touching and water is able to pass through.

cdoc
    Free Member

The down sections are much thinner over the shoulder on these jackets. If it has really packed down, try giving it good shake about, or better yet, use an airline from the inside to puff up it up again!

The waterproofing can can be revitalised with a spray on product, such as grangers repel, but to be fair, it is more of a cold weather parka than a wet weather one.
    Mrs Doc has one that has been going strong for years as a winter coat, but she will wear a proper waterproof version without the down filling if it’s raining heavily.

johndoh
    Free Member

But it does state that it is waterproof and it used to be fully waterproof.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Waterproof garments are made of either a nylon or polyester outer fabric that has been laminated to a waterproof membrane. This outer fabric is treated with a durable water repellent finish, (DWR). Once the DWR wears off, water will soak into the outer fabric layer of the jacket and sit on the waterproof membrane. This cold layer will stop moisture vapour from moving through the membrane and will create a surface for moisture to condense on creating that all too familiar cold “clammy” feeling as if the jacket appears to be leaking.

In order to revive the DWR, the product needs to be thoroughly cleaned with a soap based product in a regular washing machine, on a cool to warm cycle. Put the product through two rinse cycles to ensure there is no detergent residue. Dry the garment in a regular tumble dryer, on a cool setting, or use an iron on a cool setting to revive the DWR finish.

This process should revive the DWR. After extended use it may be necessary to use a reproofing product to replenish the DWR finish to the outer fabric surface. These can be bought from most outdoor retail stores. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

HTH.

It’s a bit like saying, “My tyres were at the right pressure when I bought the bike…..”

cdoc
    Free Member

It is waterproof, for a given value of ‘waterproof’! Dryvent 2L is the least waterproof of the three versions that it comes in and has it’s limitations.
    But all waterproofs need re-proofing regularly.

Edit: As CFH says above, but. DO NOT WASH DOWN FILLED ITEMS! It will clump up and be a mahoosive pain in the arse to redistribute and dry!

Edit2: Besides, just looked at it and I seriously doubt that it would fit in a washing machine anyway 🙂

TheDTs
    Free Member

Best t avoid washing down in my experience, but have done so successfully a few times with my down jacket.
    The secret is to use a tumble dryer and a few tennis balls. Takes ages to dry completely and you may need a launderette for that coat as they are bulky. My wife has the same coat, barely worn it TBH, its too hot most of the time if it’s raining and the water proofing isn’t needed if its that cold!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What are North Face like with warranties?’ is closed to new replies.