Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • what are nice light road tyres?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi

I just bought a road bike and want to get some nice light tyres.. what should I be looking at? Around 25 Poindexter per tyre….. or less…

Cheers

Ricks

doodlebug
    Free Member

Rickon – These !!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-diamante-pro-light-road-tyre/

Some of the lightest tyres, money can buy !!

Jammy111
    Free Member

conti gp4000s, i got two for 47 off ebay!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Seconded the GP4000s. The black chili compound is ace on roads! Michelin Pro3s are superb also, but mega expensive!

Philby

Another vote for Conti GP4000S – note the S as these have the Black Chilli compound. They roll really well and had no problems with them cutting up. Can get them for less than 50 quid from Ribble.

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Veloflex Pave if you can get them. Best road tyre ever made.

megastream
    Free Member

Ultremo R-1’s all the way, can get a pair for around £50 at the moment and look really cool with stripes

flip
    Free Member

Conti gp4000s +1

Don’t buy Vittoria Rubinos for wet weather, they are super slippy.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Michelin pro race 3’s

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Another for Conti GP4000’s.

jamesb
    Free Member

Michelin krylions, bit heavier than Pro Race 3 but good hard wearing tyre and cheaper

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d probably not bother with superlight tyres at the moment anyway, save them for the summer…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Another for Conti GP4000’s.

cp

if it’s something for racing or quick sportive, you don’t mind quicker wear and a slightly increased risk of punctures, I HIGHLY recommended the Schwalbe Ultremo R1’s.

I also rate continental supersonic inner tubes for that extra fast feel!

If you just want a training/everyday tyre though, I’d go with something with more robust – Schwalbe Durano’s range for instance.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for Ultremo’s (will shortly be switching to the DD version for winter), I think they’re actually pretty hard wearing for a soft compound tyre (i.e. one that actually grips well to)

boblo
    Free Member

Ultremo’s? +2. Fantastic tyre and IIRC, they are abut 180g per. I bought my last pair from Ribble for less than £50.

smoggy
    Free Member

Seems like the GP4000s is a winner for lightness…what’s the puncture protection like though?

🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m a Schwalbe Man also, didn’t like GP4000’s at all, didn’t seem to grip that well to me.

rickon
    Free Member

Apparently it’s Vectran…. stronger than steel and lighter than nylon. Sounds a bit superman.

But all the reviews i can find from users is that the puncture resistance is ace, and at 210g they’re pretty light too.

Plus.. the black chilli compound is great in the wet – apparently…. but what’s the rolling resistance like with that amount of sticky rubber?

boblo
    Free Member

smoggy – Member
    Seems like the GP4000s is a winner for lightness…what’s the puncture protection like though?

In what way is 205g lighter than 180g? The Ultremo R1 is the tyre being recomended not the heavier versions.

I’ve done a couple of thousand miles on Ultremos and so far, no punctures (that’s done it now <sigh>).

oldgit
    Free Member

I use the Diamant Pros for racing. However on long wet rides they seem to be puncture prone. The two popular ones here i.e Conti and Michelin are my least favourite tyre.
    Ive now gone back to Forteza Tri Comps for training and racing. When Ive raced the same circuits theyve given the best performance. And Ive never punctured one. They take 175PSI if you like a firm ride!

boblo
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    <snip> They take 175PSI if you like a firm ride!

Bl00dy ‘ell, you must have a right arm like Popeye 🙂

Jerome
    Free Member

Conti gp4000s +2

aP
    Free Member

Any of the Vredestein Fortezza series of tyres are IMO great. I’ve ridden a lot in the UK on various versions of them, and also done a lot of miles in both the Alps and the Pyrenees and they’ve never let me down. I’m currently using the Tricomp quattro tyres – perfect on la Marmotte and will be going round the Maratona next July.

maxlite
    Free Member

Again Schwalbe Ultremo R1’s, very fast, but not a winter tyre.

I run Michelin Krylion’s on my winter bike.

Haze

Not long bought some 23mm GP4000S to replace the 25mm wire-beaded Ultra Sports that came on mine.

Paid > £50 delivered off Ebay (High On Bikes), very happy with them.

cp

to add to all the Ultremo R1 non-winter comments above – maybe it’s because of the increased puncture risk of wetness lubing sharp objects, but mine grip sooo well in the wet – amazingly so.

scotabroad

I recently bought a pair of Schwalbe Duranos of here to rplace some wornBontranger ones and i am very impressed with them, they roll fast, grip well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Krylions for training

Pro Race and Ultremos for the good days

[the GP4000 are okay but I was never that impressed with them myself)

..but nowadays I run tubeless (Hutchinson Atoms and Fusions) and wouldn’t go back to clinchers.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘what are nice light road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.