Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What are my options for rapid, cheap commuters?
  • rj
    Free Member

I’m about to move to a new job that will reduce my commute from 60 to 7.5 miles, so I’m thinking I can probably bike it (when it’s warm and dry, obviously). It’s a slightly dodgy bit of Glasgow; so something drab enough that it won’t get nicked, but reasonably quick is what I’m after. And really cheap would also be good.

I await your recommendations with trepidatious anticipation.

I also welcome any advice on whether trepidatious is actually a word or not.

arcane
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone can really suggest a bike for you to buy. If you buy just about any new bike, it will be nice and shiny and a target for the thieving buggers!

For 7.5 miles, all you really need is something with working breaks, gears and drivetrain, and there is not much more to it. Buy a bike for £100 second hand somewhere, and if it is stolen… you won’t really care and can spend one of the other £100 you kept aside for the next one. 🙂

That is how I would do it anyway. 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

I would definitely be looking second hand, as arcane says above. For that distance you could even go single speed to keep things simple. Fast is just how quickly you turn those legs right? 😆
    I would also be looking for something with full mudguards/ability to fit them, to keep you dry when it does decide to rain. Even if you are only planning on commuting in the dry 🙂

irc

. It’s a slightly dodgy bit of Glasgow

Don’t forget the helmet then.

kayak23

Personally, I would get a singlespeed/fixed gear bike in a stealth colour.
    Simple to run, challenging to fitness and the kids will think you are cool… 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Find out if the new firm does a cycle to work scheme before you buy anything…. It’ll save you loads if they do
    Cheers

z1ppy

Find out if the new firm does a cycle to work scheme before you buy anything…. It’ll save you loads if they do

Are you sure? My reading of this, is that it’s not the bargain it ‘was’.

For a cheap new bike I’d be looking at the Halfords 700cc hybrid range, but for the ultimate anti-thief bike you’s want an old roadie.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

any new bike can be made to look horrid – tape. dodgy paint job etc

daftvader
    Free Member

Hey z1ppy Im on the halfords scheme which has had some changes since I did my last bike but I just got a globe1 which retails for £400. In total, including disposal fee at the end of the “hire” term, i’ll be paying back somewhere around £260…. Thats a fair saving. Some of the schemes differ tho… Still worth looking at especially if you dont have the cash to front for a bike.
    Like kayak23 said a cheap single speed is definately worth looking at. But im bias to ss bikes as none of mine have gears currently!
    Cheers

scaredypants

You don’t need fast for 7 miles, just properly working. The diff between fast & this would be under 5 mins probably

You need unsaleable. If I commuted, and could be arsed to take the time I’d get down to the tip for a frame at least:
    “womens” (ie VERY dropped top-tube) hybrid. SPray paint it badly – several clashing colours with lots of overspray, including on the unmatched wheels and slicks. Then get it muddy. If using a derailleur, try for suntour or something else “unheard of” (can you still get simplex ?!). Try for unmatched cranks too (1 black 1 silver). Keep the drivetrain clean but let the frame get nice & thick with road-glue

(trouble is, you won’t want it either 🙁 )

xcentric
    Free Member

Get something old and heavy – it’s much less likely to get nicked, and it’ll get you much fitter than a decent bike. With only 7.5 miles to do, this’ll raise your fitness right up and keep your bike with you longer. Oh, and try to take it into work with you, rather than living it outside…..

safi

On the other hand you could something like an Edinburgh Bike Co-op Revolution Courier Race for £220 and a good lock.

mieszko
    Free Member

Look at second hand bikes. No disc brakes, no suspension, old but working gear and full mudguards (mismatched if possible :-)). I had a Marin Bolinas Ridge. Steel, grey, so looked very plain. Mismatched wheels, I did put v-brakes on it as cantis were pretty bad in wet, no a-head stem, probably best to not have anything with qr’s. The bike worked spotless, 1×7 acera/alivio, new cassette+chain was less then a chain for my road bike, bike looked shit but was only 3min slower over 6 miles than my road bike. Put some puncture proof tyres and you’re ready to go.

Those Edinburgh courier bikes are pretty good, stock wheels are a bit weak, however I did have a play with one, and can’t really fault it, maybe it looks half decent for a commuter so it would probably got nicked quicker then my Marin.

I think everything depents where you will be able to keep the bike. If it’s indoors, you can have something working good but also looking ok, if it will be locked outside then it really needs to be something looking shit. If it will be pig ugly, the only risk will be some neds will want to kick the crap out of it for fun.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/kona-mens-mountain-bike/97240726

check this out, for 60 notes you can’t really go wrong. 7 speed and has v breaks so will stop reasonably well and be cheap to run, it might even look too good. 🙂

will
    Free Member

Old racer would be my bet. I bought one off here for £35, took everything off it and made a SS. Was rapid cheap and looked crap.

Different brake levers now & a rear brake.

Have a photo:

20.05.2011 by Will – B, on Flickr

xcentric
    Free Member

Will – that looks v nice. Why no handlebar tape though – surely a bit slippery when wet?

will
    Free Member

It was really old and crap, so I took it off and put new on. Just didn’t take a shot.

New tape & levers:

28.10.2011 by Will – B, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah nice – retard levers

wallace1492
    Free Member

I used to do 7.5 miles each way in Glasgow, started off on my MTB with slicks, that was fun, and gave me some MTB options on way home. Then i got a CX bike, and that was faster and opened up all sorts of different paths home. Some were north, south, east and west of correct route. Longest was 25 miles in and 48 on way home….. 😯

Then got old road bike (Raleigh Elan) single speeded, and it was great fun, though as no gears it curtailed my extra trips. However, was great for fitness.

Use what you have to begin with, plenty will depend on what roads/trails/paths you use and what facilities at work – I had underground car park and locker room/shower.

I loved it! Great way to start the day, but as you buy more gear, it is not as cheap as you think, though the fun and fitness, and just amazing smugness of cycling in every day makes it all worthwile. Enjoy!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What are my options for rapid, cheap commuters?’ is closed to new replies.