Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What are decent flat pedals?
  • henni
    Free Member

Hi there,

thinking about getting my friend flat pedals for christmas. It’s more of a visual thing for her, but I don’t want to get cheap crap. Any ideas?

Ta, Henni

legend
    Free Member

Pink Superstar Nanos – sorted

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Superstar

chakaping
    Free Member

Great pedals at a very reasonable price here.

Same as superstars, but a tenner cheaper.

ryanctj
    Free Member

+1 nanos

Liftman

DMR Vaults

swingbing
    Free Member

+1 what chakaping said.

They are nanos but even more bargainous.

sharkattack

DMR Vaults are faultless but pricey. Also come in loads of lovely colours. Depends how close this friend is.

Coyote
    Free Member

Crank Bros Fiddy /Fiddies (50/50). I like ’em

GeForceJunky

Hope – they are expensive and heavy but phooorrrrrrr, thats some sexy cnc’ing!

munkyboy
    Free Member

Saint from rosebikes, about £40.

righog
    Free Member

These look good

saints

I have Superstar Nanos and they are fine. But I have also been using, on another bike some wellgo V8 copies which were on a bike I bought a while back, and they have also performed really well, not as much grip as the Nanos but I have found this a bonus sometimes as you can move your feet around more ( using flat pedals after 15+ years with SPD’s) you can get the Wellgos from about £10 and might be a better bet if just trying out flats.

mattjevans
    Free Member

+1 for Saints

colournoise

+ another 1 for Nanos.

trailhound
    Free Member

1 more for vaults. Recently switched to a set of these after 15+ years of spds and it still feels like I’m clipped in there’s that much grip! As mentioned above there’s cheaper options but i do believe you get what you pay for.

mikey74
    Free Member

Decent flat pedals? Spank Spike or Point One Podiums.

butcher

Superstars are easy on the eye and come in a range of colours.

Welgo MG1s are a touch lighter, and cheaper, but more traditional in looks.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m going to say Easton Flatboy. Very well made pedal.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Acros A Flat pedals.

spawnofyorkshire

My MG1’s are good, but i like the nanos more as it feels like a bigger platform and has slightly more grip.

don’t ever get white mg1’s, 1 ride and they look very second hand

gonzy
    Free Member

Easton Cully’s are probably the best IMO.
    problem is they’re now discontinued so my suggestion would be a pair of Wellgo flats seeing as they seem quite good at ripping off averyone else’s designs

philwarren11
    Free Member

Thru pin nanos for me. With some AM41’s. Lots of grip.

zingrock
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Tech or Superstar Nano Thru Pins? Which are better?

chakaping
    Free Member

I go for the non-thru-pin versions myself as they are a bit lighter and I don’t tend to lose pins when I bash them on rocks anyway. (Unlike the Wellgo MG1s, which are awful for that, for example)

They look better too IMO.

svalgis
    Free Member

The slots on set screws tend to become worthless pretty quickly in my experience, so if you do have to tighten/remove them you have to find other ways (maybe someone has a few tips?). On the other hand, I can imagine the risk of damaging threads in the pedal is pretty big when removing a damaged thru-pin.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Nukeproof Electrons – seriouslly.

funkrodent

DMR Vault. Grip like you wouldn’t believe, low profile so less prone to rock strikes and are quite large so offer a really solid platform. Defnitely worth the extra investment, particularly if – like me – you have large feet 😀

Northwind

There’s various Nanos, from hefty to light, they’re all good at what they do.

Vaults are good if you want a larger platform but they don’t really do anything else special. Wellgo MG1s are light for the money, but fatter and smaller compared to Nanos, and easier to damage (though still pretty tough)

darryl1983
    Free Member

Carbon cycles version of the nano is only £33 and now comes in 10 different colours.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Nukeproof electron

getonyourbike
    Free Member

svalgis – Member
    The slots on set screws tend to become worthless pretty quickly in my experience, so if you do have to tighten/remove them you have to find other ways (maybe someone has a few tips?).

Molegrips

spectabilis
    Free Member

NC-17 SUD Pin III
    Very smooth ,nice cnc work, good colours and quite compact suitable for smaller feet.

atlaz
    Free Member

Very happy with my electrons. Light and grippy and so far proving strong

svalgis
    Free Member

Molegrips

Good call, I’ll try that if/when the need arises. Cheers.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got 1 pair of nukeproof electrons, and several DMR V8’s, and several V12’s.

of the DMR’s i prefer the v8’s – they’re cheaper and more easily serviceable (and therefor last longer than v12’s).

the electrons are reliable, cheap, and very light. They do feel a bit weird combined with the ‘wrong’ shoes, but feel great under my am40’s.

it’s a tricky choice, but i think the electrons have it – i’ll probably change my mind when then get a bit rattley and i want to service them…

rewski
    Free Member

You can’t go wrong with DMR V8, V12 or Vaults, depending on your budget, I’ve also got Flatboys and Shimano DX which are good. I love the look of podiums but can’t bring myself to pay £150 that for a pedal.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve used DMR V8s or 12s for years, but just recently got some Superstar Nanos – mainly cos they do a lovely anodised red to match my bike 😀
    They do actually feel even nicer than the DMRs, nice big platform for my big feet.
    I just want the purple ones now to go on my pink ss road bike 😀

badllama
    Free Member

Used to use V8’s but now using Superstar Nano Thru Pins one my FS bikes my commuter hard tail still has V8’s on though 🙂

Northwind

V8s and V12s weren’t a great option even when they were a current model, kind of at a loss why anyone would buy them now unless they’re discounted to the point that they’re cheaper than the superior Wellgo equivalents.

xiphon
    Free Member

Flats are only as good at the grip on shoe sitting on them.

v8/v12s + Vans (especially in the damp) = rubbish

v8/v12s + 5.10s = superb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What are decent flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.