Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What anti virus (etc) software is good please?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Am currently running Norton 360 but they want £65 to renew but am I just as well getting a freebie like AVG or at least a cheaper option?

I’m not very techno so simple answers only please! 😳

hammyuk
    Free Member

F-Secure has been the best for me over the last 4yrs.
    Hardly any resource grabs, un-intrusive, etc.
    Really good value too – license covers 3 PC’s

Cougar

Windows 8 – Windows Defender (comes with the OS).

Windows 7 – Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows XP – kill it with fire and buy Windows 7/8.

Whatever you go with, you must remove Norton fully before installing something else, or they’ll fight. After uninstalling, use the removal tool.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Cougar, I’ll check that out.

br
    Free Member

Surf and you’ll find a far better deal with Norton, same every year ours expires.

scotroutes

I haven’t had a stand-alone anti-virus product installed for what, 8 years? I’ve just run whatever Microsoft provide with Windows (see Cougars post above).

nickjb
    Free Member

you must remove Norton

This is important. Norton is horrible.

timba
    Free Member

In our house we have…

Emsisoft Anti-malware (no firewall) <£27
    Emsisoft Internet Security (with firewall) <£34
    Both 30 day free trial

Avast (no firewall) Free

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’ve got windows 8 when I up graded I didn’t reload Macfee anti virus thought defender would do it. It doesn’t stop you clicking on a bad link. I clicked on the wrong link for Firefox and was swamped by virus and crap wear programmes which took ages to remove. I’m back with Macfee and I haven suffered any attacks. Defender was on but wasn’t anywh as good as decent anti virus software. Just my experience from an average user.

br
    Free Member

I haven’t had a stand-alone anti-virus product installed for what, 8 years? I’ve just run whatever Microsoft provide with Windows (see Cougars post above).

Hmm, maybe ok if you 100% know what you are doing but for full ‘family’ coverage I’m happy to pay a bit of insurance.

rickmeister

Norton was really screwing our W7 PC round, crashing, slow, Norton re installs… so ditched it using the removal tool.

Now have windows defender as Cougar and Scotroutes said…

Its faster, more stable and generally better.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Although it’s not free, I am happy with the way AVG steps in with its assistance from time to time. We have the Internet security one on all computers.

duntstick
    Free Member

Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials and regularly run Malwarebytes.

All free

endurogangster
    Free Member

BiTdefender has been good for me over the last year, was about £20 from Amazon and covers 3 computers

johnners
    Free Member

I use F-Secure with W7 and it seems to work well and unobtrusively, but if I didn’t get it “free” from my ISP I’d be perfectly happy with MSE. I used to have to use McAfee at work and it was a bit of a resource hog at times, though if you schedule scans and updates carefully it needn’t be much of an issue.

Cougar

Emsisoft Anti-malware (no firewall) <£27
    Emsisoft Internet Security (with firewall) <£34

That’s sixty quid you didn’t need to spend.

timba
    Free Member

Well it would be if I’d spent sixty quid (that’s for two PCs)…

I’ve used it for years and get a discount for that to a max 60%. I also got six months free for buying the second one, and if everyone who tries it uses a personalised link (that I haven’t provided), then I get another free month for each trial

You get a dual AV engine (the other is BitDefender), etc, etc

…and you can try it for free

unovolo
    Free Member

I currently use Bitdefender Free and it seems to do the trick , picks up on Malware sites and runs seamlessly in the background with no slowdowns.
    Have previously used Avast and AVG which are both free and get good reviews.

slowoldman

When I had Windows machines I user (free) Avast! and found it very good.

Cougar

‘ve used it for years and get a discount for that to a max 60%.

Sorry. That’s twenty quid you didn’t need to spend.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What anti virus (etc) software is good please?’ is closed to new replies.