Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What AM Wheel Set
  • grantway
    Free Member

Whats the best lightest and fastest set of AM wheels can i get for around £ 300 to £ 350
    Will have a 20 mm axle on the front

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Hope Hoops ProII – Stans Flow.
    Nothing else competes at that price point or even up to the £600 mark.

Northwind

Stock answer but it’s true, they’re ace.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member
    Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I could add, I can build you some with CX-RAY spokes to pro race spec in the colour of your choice for about £400, And they would be better.
    But the stock ones are pretty good if you like black.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/carbon-wheelset-for-amfr-and-possibly-dh, definitely these. Divorse the wife, sell the house and Kids etc.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Mavic have used the same spokes type in the Crossmax XL and SX for years, and they don’t last any longer or run stiffer than a handbuilt set of wheels from a good builder.
    Alloy spokes work harden and stretch in use. So they’re not as bombproof as that link makes them seem. I have 8yrs experience of working on 3mm alloy spokes to call on.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve run Hope/Flow for two years. Buckled the front early on doing something stupid but they have been fine since (other than the 135 x 12mm axle breaking thing).
    Light, Strong and good value… unless you spend serious cash more you will not get much better.

As Skyline-GTR suggests, a custom build with CX-RAY or DT Revolution spokes and Alloy Nipples would save a few grams and be better than a Hoop – but super light spokes and alloy nipples might reduce the lifespan (I built a DH wheel with revolutions many a year ago – I had to relace it after three years… which when I think about it actually isn’t that bad considering the abue it got).

ChrisA
    Free Member

for me, its chris king iso’s with 819 and cx-ray spokes. They are on all my bikes. The hopes are great value though.

grantway
    Free Member

At the moment i still have the stock set that came with the bike ie WTB rims on Hope 2 hubs
    Will the Stan rims be better or what the set up you are suggesting Skyline-GTR are these good for
    constant trips to Wales And what would the weight be for the set?

grantway
    Free Member

Skyline-GTR can you get back to me !

Jeffus
    Free Member

Sorry another Hope Hoops ProII – Stans Flow.with the Stans tubless conversion had mine for 2 years superb, run mine 20mm front and 12mm rear. 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Yet another for hopes pro 2 on stans. Great thing with the front hubs is the simplicity of swaping between std 9 /15 & 20mm adaptors. The rims are nice and wide so give larger (2.4) tyres a decent shape. Run well tubeless look good with white rims! Great value. Previously had cross max ST and SLR`s though they are not marketed as all mountain. Getting spares (for crossmax)was a pain in the neck and a rim for a crossmax wheel is about £110. Everything had to get ordered from france as no UK distributor.

Go with the hopes!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Easton Havoc AM from Ebay from the USA. About £250 posted inc tax.

ferrit
    Free Member

Hope Pro IIs on Mavic 819 rims.

Faultless and easy to run tubeless!

Northwind

ferrit – Member

Hope Pro IIs on Mavic 819 rims.

Faultless and easy to run tubeless!

And assuming same spokes, heavier and less strong than Flows. No easier to set up tubeless either once the yellow tape’s on.

messiah
    Free Member

If there is any chance of you wanting to run a 12mm rear axle (135 or 142) wait until the Hope Pro2 EVO is released (March currently) – the Pro2 is prone to much snappage in this configuration (I’m on number three in a year).

Flow rims = light and strong enough. The advantage they have over all mavic rims is girth, which allows the tyre to act bigger than it is which protects the rim from damage… IMHO

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 12mm rear axle on my Hopes for over a year no problems yet,
    what snaps messiah??

messiah
    Free Member

Take the wheel off and the cassette falls on the floor.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What AM Wheel Set’ is closed to new replies.