Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What all year round tubeless tire for the surrey hills?
  • Netdonkey

I currently run a Panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 rear tire but managed to split it today (It was well worn) I can’t be bothered with swapping tires for the weather so I am looking for an all year Tubeless tire to challenge the Panaracer before I go off and buy the same again? I mainly ride the Surrey Hills wit the occasional welsh trail centre raid! Suggestions please?

Ta

ND

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I run tubeless Maxxis Advantage in 2.1 width all year, and they seem to cope with dusty French trails in the summer, to snow and mud in the winter. I too cannot be bothered changing tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spesh Purgatory, works in mud and not too bad in the dry either, left mine on all ‘summer’!

br
    Free Member

Larsen Freeride 2.35 or worsecase Ardent.

Netdonkey

Anyone ride a rubber queen?

raccoon
    Free Member

Specialized purgatory on the spare bike throughout the year for the Surrey hills.

Mountain king and x-king on the main bike, I do prefer the purgatorys though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone ride a rubber queen?

Yep. I use 2.4 or 2.2 RQs around the Surrey Hills. Not the best in the gloopy winter slop by any measure. Great fun when it’s dry or a little moist, though.

Over the winter? Not really the right tyre! Reminds me….need to go shopping!

raccoon
    Free Member

A mate who comes biking on the Surrey hills has just swapped to Specialized storm DH for the winter and they grip anything thrown at them so far. But they are killing him on the uphill sections.

Netdonkey

I have to confess to preferring a slightly friskier tyre in the mud if it rolls a little faster, any extra effort up the hills kills me!

nobbyq
    Free Member

hans dampf !

br
    Free Member

hans dampf !

Its the Surrey Hills FFS, not Scotland/Wales!

mandog

I’ve been using 2.35 Minion super tacky front and 2.35 High Roller 60a back for the last 18 months all over the Surrey Hills. They are well suited to my all mountain style.

mashiehood
    Free Member

rocket ron.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the Surrey Hills. They are well suited to my all mountain style.

Keyboard/beer interface! Comic genius!

mattjg
    Free Member

Buy a second bike, get a cheap single speed, put mud tyres (Mud X) on it or something bouncy if running it rigid (Hans Dampf). Ride it in the wet.

On your dry, fast bike: Rocket Rons.

Since changing tyre by season doesn’t work any more, because the conditions are so unpredictable, just pick the bike that suits the day.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I also can’t be arsed with swapping tyres. I run 2.35 High Rollers on the front of both bikes and a 2.25 Crossmark on the back of my full suspension bike and a 2.00 Larson TT (it’s wider than it sounds!)on the single speed. I use the same combo in any weather – I mainly ride in Surrey, but also for a couple of weeks in the Alps each year and Scotland and Wales or where ever. All are LUST versions. The rear tyres both roll well and don’t give me any trouble in the wet. They’re even fine on North Downs mud! My theory with tyres is to have a front which won’t wash out and a quick rolling tyre on the rear – if it slides a bit at times it’s fine/fun – might not suit those who aren’t suttle with the pedalling on slippery stuff though!

slowboydickie

+1 advantage with medusa up front. Been like that for 12 months and rides fine.

itsmygame
    Free Member

Never been near the Surrey hills but I use nobby nic front back all year I’m local to cwmcarn and surrounding mountains. Recently stuck a dampf on the front for the winter. Can’t comment on it yet though.

Have heard extremely good things about the spesh tyres though.

njee20
    Free Member

Rocket Ron.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What all year round tubeless tire for the surrey hills?’ is closed to new replies.