Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What all round tyres for this time of year?
  • argee

I’ve been away from here for a while, not really been doing too much biking due to bikes getting nicked, knees going and the usual work stuff, but i’m trying to ease myself back in, and after a nightmare trying to change the stans notubes in my tyres, i’ve decided to just stick some tubes in for a while!

So, not being on here for a long long time, or being near CRC or the others, i haven’t a clue what new tyres are about, what are good, what’s bad and so on, i know there’s no such thing as a great all rounder, but looking for something that’ll work in damp/wet conditions, nothing too muddy, so not dedicated mud tyres, something that’s not bad on hardpack and the likes, not to fussed about how they perform on tarmac as i’ll try to minimise that type of riding.

So, what would fit the bill here, looking for something for 26″ rims, lightish, i prefer narrow tyres, and the bike tends to not like anything above 2.1″?

geoffj

Conti vert pros

cynic-al
    Free Member

What did you used to use?

They’ll still work as well…

muddyground
    Free Member

Mud-X all year for me.

youngrob

Hans Dampf 🙂

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

I personally like conti tyres, race kings are very fast and cope with more then you would expect looking at the tread. For a bit more then X king, maybe a race king rear x king up front. Come winter time stick the X king on rear and run a mountain king II up front! They are fairly light in normal kevlar version, or pretty light in RS version (albeit then nearly 40 quid a tyre).

Thats what i run, but everyone is diferent so different opinions!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

2.35 high rollers have always been the best for me. light enough, fast enough and plenty of grip. Any other suggestions are wrong

jimw
    Free Member

I know they are not popular , although I can’t see why, but I would recommend Panaracer XC pros for the size you want.

footflaps

I use Schwalbe Racing Ralphs as an all rounder, good for everything except mud.

ampthill

Bontrager xr4

A bit less pointy and a bit more all round than the mud x

But would be off the bike by now in a normal year…..

Mugboo

In March I went to my usual High Rollers. I’m now back on Swampthing front, High Roller rear 🙂

matt_outandabout

I seem to year round use Ardents – with occasional swap to AdVantage 2.4 on front in winter or for rocky and Racing Ralph for summer rear duties.

chrisbill

Kenda Nevegal StickE are good in damp/wet conditions. I use Nobby Nics when the trails are dry though as they roll faster.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory up front and a Captain out back

Sancho
    Free Member

Been riding the Hans Dampf and am seriously impressed, great grip and roll well, but big volume can squirm a bit when pressing hard, however, I running a non UST as a tubeless so will squirm a bit more than normal.
    But in Bingley today they were mint, and so was Bingley 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

Minion DHF 2.35 and 2.25 ardent rear works great all year with the odd occasion when muddy I stick a swampthing on front or on other occasions ie summer very dry I stick the ardent on front and put an aspen on rear

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What all round tyres for this time of year?’ is closed to new replies.