Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What all purpose tyres for Stans Flow rims?
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Have been using Maxxis Advantage on these but they’re a real pain to change. Tried both 2.25 and 2.4, and both are really tight.

Anyone using anything different which doesn’t regularly snap tyre levers? Heading to Wales soon and keen to avoid major stress if I get any punctures on the trails.

Thanks.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

On-One chunky monkey

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control.
    Never had and problems fitting them to 26 or 29er Flow rims.

mmel
    Free Member

^^^ + 1/2

I have a captain on the back

ocrider

+1 for Purgs. Can’t be bothered trying anything else anymore as they go on so easily.

seavers
    Free Member

Got some Maxxis Ignitors on at the mo, they were a little tight to fit but no broken levers. Find them pretty good but last few night rides have been a mud fest and they do clog up.

Before that I had Nobby Nic’s, they were easy to fit but I didn’t get on with them.

I’m running them tubeless. The Nic’s were fragile and I would always see sealant seeping out of what would have been punctures. The Ignitors have been great so far so happy to keep them on for another year.

fadda

Crossmarks on mine. Ideal for trail centres, too.

slowrider
    Free Member

Conti RQ’s

Northwind

FWIW I had Advantages in 2.4 and 2.25 on my Flows and they were fine- not particularly tight. Never had a Maxxis that was, they run to the slightly slack usually. At the risk of seeming rude, are you new to this tubeless rims lark? It takes a wee bit of technique to get tyres on and off.

Anyway… One person’s all purpose might be different from another’s but I’m still a fan of the old Nevegal, especially once attacked with a set of cutters to remove some intermediate knobs and stop them from being mud-hoovers. Not fast but genuinely do-anything.

banks
    Free Member

RQ

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Specialized Storm and Ground Control go on (and inflate) a treat, as do Bontrager XR4s.

timidwheeler

Ground controls.

emmodd
    Free Member

Hanson Dampf?

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Northwind – they are the first tubeless rims I’ve had. Wasn’t aware there was a technique but that would make sense as the same tyres were fine on my older rims. Any tips?

fivespot
    Free Member

Rubber Queens here too, in Black Chilli flavour. Very easy to fit, no broken levers. And on the levers topic, try Pedros levers, SUPERB. They make Park levers look like Christmas cracker contents 8)

colournoise

Another ‘recommend what you ride’ answer.

RQ UST front, XKing Protection rear. Been using this combo for a year or so now through dust, mud and snow.

Fitted both to my Flows with barely any use of levers.

thedobbster
    Free Member

maxxis high rollers, 2.25 LUST, fill with stans no tubes fluids and you are sorted…. thats the set up I have been running nearly a year in the lakes on rocky trails and never really had a problem apart from topping up to seel a small hole with doc blue.

Northwind

rossrobot – Member

they are the first tubeless rims I’ve had. Wasn’t aware there was a technique but that would make sense as the same tyres were fine on my older rims. Any tips?

Nothing really special… When breaking them off the bead, don’t try and push them right off in one go, push one point til there’s a little movement then move a little and push there, gradual release rather than a single big shove, saves your thumbgs.

To fit and remove, it’s all about getting the tyre right into the well of the rim- standard rims are generally looser, they don’t need the tight seal, so you can get away with not doing this so well. With tubeless rims it’s pretty essential.

Anyone got any more? This is all i really do (it used to be essential with old skinny tall XC rims too so it’s my natural approach)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What all purpose tyres for Stans Flow rims?’ is closed to new replies.