Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What all day riding knee pads
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Sorry if this has been done recently (it probably has been)

After buggering my knee up in the autumn I’m keen to get some knee protection to avoid a relapse in the case of a stack, so I’m after some kneepads that are suitable for all day xc / hike-a-bike type riding.

What’s out there that is worth considering?

Thanks!

akira

Quite like my fix enduro ones. Comfy enough for all day, not the most padding but you can’t have everything.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wear my Fox Launch Pro for all-day rides, hike-a-bike and everything really. They are bulky but light and unobtrusive – and work much better than my slimline Troy Lee KG5400 pads when knees end up hitting rocks.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

POC VPD Air.

nosedive
    Free Member

Fox launch here as well. They are comfy but still have a hard cup round the knee which is a must for me

poah
    Free Member

Trail skins

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tue back of your knees will need toughening up too, I sometimes put something like tubi-grip under my pads to stop the chafe. I usually only wear the pads in the Alps on holiday so my knees are not toughened up enough

Potdog
    Free Member

I’m liking my GForm pads at the moment. Light and comfy and keep my knees nice and warm if it’s chilly.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One that will actually protect your knees from a hard knock. Not G-Forms or Airpad whatevers….these will protect you from scrapes and light brusing.

Something like the short POC VPD 2.0 DH’s or something from Leatt will actually help mitigate a hard impact.

And if you did something really big like the unhappy triad, a kneegaurd won’t work – you will want an MX Knee brace but the ones that won’t snap your femur in half to protect your knee cost a small fortune.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a fan of my POC VPD 2.0’s. VPD Air’s are apparently even lighter but offer less big crash protection.

I’ve extensively tested my POCs. They cope with any crash I can offer them it seems, they stay in place, and I don’t feel the need to dry them out after a days’ riding.

They did start to show sweat lines after a week in Spain in July, but were never uncomfortable and just washed clean under a tap.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also, if you go with the POC VPDs, it’s worth getting the one with the small hard outer shell if you’re wearing them with shorts. Thhey are no bulkier than the standard VPD 2.0’s but the plastic shell will spread the impact a bit better and allow you to slide instead of getting caught up and potentially twisting something.

danti

Ion k pact are excellent, light, very comfortable and a decent amount of protection also to the sides of the knee and top of your shin.

Northwind

All of em basically. Get something not-rubbish that fits and it’ll do the job.

I have a bit of a thing about these stupid new “minimal” pads like gform and the like. Hurrah, less coverage, less protection even where they have coverage, and no real advantage unless you want to wear them under trousers. I really don’t get it. But taking a perfectly good kneepad then making a different version that lacks all the side protection and costs more is apparently enduro.

poah
    Free Member

That’s what I like about my trail skins. The padding at the side works.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

+1 for Fox Launch Pro. Including all day “jollys” with long hike-a-bike treats.

oldeh
    Free Member

race face indy

ferrals
    Free Member

Trail skins are good, landed on bedrock a few times with no issues and only marginally impact pedalling -and I am an xc weight weenie that has sleepless nights about things that impede speed 😆

chvck
    Free Member

All of em basically. Get something not-rubbish that fits and it’ll do the job.

+1 to this. Get ones that don’t fit well and they’re just wasted money, and that’s usually a painful lesson as the backs of your knees slowly disappear.

Also, my trail skins didn’t last long, they got tatty quite quickly and then the right one split right down the side.

el_boufador

Thanks all

Del

slight hijack. any recommendations for someone coming from small kyle strait/rage? there does not appear to be an equivalent 661 (no d30 please). the medium 661 fit out the box but only for about 6 months until they got baggy…tia.

mark90
    Free Member

For the OP POC Air, for closer to Kyle Straits POC VPD 2.0. Bliss do some pads that appear copy of KS’s but can’t recommend after the straps came off a pair on first ride.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why know D30? The Scott Grenade Evos look good as well, the previous model – the Grenade Pro 2 got rave reviews.

chiefgrooveguru

Ones that fit! Order lots online, spend an evening or two wearing them and keep the pair you forget you’re wearing. For me that was Fox Launch Pro.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a bit of a thing about these stupid new “minimal” pads like gform and the like. Hurrah, less coverage, less protection even where they have coverage, and no real advantage unless you want to wear them under trousers. I really don’t get it. But taking a perfectly good kneepad then making a different version that lacks all the side protection and costs more is apparently enduro.

I like em. Bliss minimalists here, only ever used to wear knee pads on big rocky bastard descent days, as I don’t really like pedalling for any length of time in any of the harder, more restrictive pads.

However, since buying these, I wear them every ride now – keep my knees warm and fend off smaller cuts and bruises, so I’d argue in my own man-maths style that they actually offer more protection…. 😀

PS – with a pair of the new awesome knee high sealskinz, and bib shorts below my Addicts, I’m super toasty too. Happy nobeer.

Del

no d30 cos i want to be able to come home and throw my pads and gloves straight in the machine. if d30 can be removed i’m happy with that, but pads that utilise it command a premium price.

buckster
    Free Member

ION

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve tried various pads over the years. Fox Launch Pro work for both me and Katie. First leg armour i’ve ever been happy to wear when climbing.

Still don’t wear it riding in the UK though – just can’t get used to the idea.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

I like em. Bliss minimalists here, only ever used to wear knee pads on big rocky bastard descent days, as I don’t really like pedalling for any length of time in any of the harder, more restrictive pads.

Yah but there’s a whole big middle ground there of soft, full cover pads. Like ye classic Kyle Strait in fact, which I might never forgive 661 for discontinuing!

motozulu
    Free Member

Is this another ‘I’m just gonna recommend what I’ve got’ thread? 🙂

I’ve got G forms and TLD shock doctors – like em both. G forms are great for XC – the shock doctors for the more serious stuff. Order a load from CRC – see what you get on with – send the rest back. Sorted.

craig24
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro. Wear mine everytime I ride.

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

However, since buying these, I wear them every ride now – keep my knees warm and fend off smaller cuts and bruises, so I’d argue in my own man-maths style that they actually offer more protection…

I got the bliss ones too after a previous post of yours nobeer and agree with your rationale. The only downside I have with them is at this time of year I wear bib longs and shorts, and the pads don’t work so well at gripping when over the bib longs. Same issue with any pads though..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bib shorts, Bliss pads, knee high sealskinz just overlapping the pads. Absolutely no need for longs then. The socks actually a great job of helping the pads stay up.

iainc

might have to try that 🙂

gelert
    Free Member

Bliss minimalist here too. Wear them for almost every ride. Decided I wasn’t going off road on Wednesday evening so I left them behind… guess what? Bashed my knee on my handlebars 🙁

I have Fox Launch Pro knee pads but only enjoyed wearing them in the shop where they felt really comfy. I never enjoy wearing them on the bike at all and they chafe like hell.

I have two D30 Race Face sets too. One minimalist (Indy Knee I think) which are very comfy and also the Ambush which are by far the best gnar pads I have. I have pedalled all day with the Ambush and raced in them loads of times.

I also wear Fox Enduro Elbow pads… I’ve never changed those except to buy another set in a size larger. Comfy as.

dirkpitt74

I picked up some of these a couple of weeks back.

AMPLIFI MKII Knee Pads.

Got knee & elbow slip-ons for £40 from Tredz (looks like they’ve sold out now though).

Used them all last weekend at Coed-Y-Brenin and on a night ride over the Chase last night – really comfortable and not particularly bulky.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have Fox Launch Pro knee pads but only enjoyed wearing them in the shop where they felt really comfy. I never enjoy wearing them on the bike at all and they chafe like hell.

Have you tried keeping the top velcro straps loose and the lower ones tight?

cokie

Another vote for Fox Launch kneed pads.
    I bought them through necessity at BPW as I forgot mine.
    They where the only option there at the time.
    So glad I did! Comfiest pair I’ve ever worn. They are pretty durable too. I never wear my old 661 things anymore.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ixs carve evo pads here. They sit in between my POC joint 2s and the POC air that I looked at in the shop.

I wanted something more comfortable and cooler than the POC joint 2s for standard, low-brow trail riding and the ICS carve evos are super comfy and much cooler. Not quite so much side coverage and overall they’re a bit thinner but the POC air doesn’t cover the side of you knew at all.

I have more comprehensive armour for places like the Lakeland tech descending and BPW.

motozulu
    Free Member

I do the long sealskinz socks over the bottom of the G forms too, and my click fast shorts just go over the top – holds em in place a treat. Mainly wear em to keep me knees warm as I hate the tights malarkey. Excellent cut and graze protection, obviously if doing gnarlier stuff, the shock doctors come out.

gkeeffe

Ixs flow and gform here. Both are good ixs are a bit tougher, and both can be worn all day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What all day riding knee pads’ is closed to new replies.