Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What (Ahem) tyres for commuting to replace my knackered ones?
  • gnusmas

My Specialized Pro 26 x 1.0 tyres are starting to separate on the sidewalls so am looking for replacements. I can’t seem to find any more of these so looking for something fast rolling, grippy and good in the wet too. There don’t seem to be a huge choice of 26″ road style tyres for commuting (or i am not looking in the right places).

Should i stick with narrow tyres or go for something wider? My commuter is a HT with rigid forks (if it makes any difference). My LBS seems to only stock 650c and 700c tyres.

Thanks

tomd
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/schwalbe-durano-road-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod128952

or if you want bomb proof then marathon plus.

Personally I really like the marathon plus as they are more or less puncture proof, grip in the wet is acceptable but not the best.

jekkyl

Conti travel contact are worth looking at, you can usually get them from your local halfords at Web prices for convenience too.

teethgrinder

Schwalbe City Jets? I have them on my 1995 rigid bike in 1.5″ flavour – seem hardy enough and roll fast when pumped up.
    Like these

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Big Apples are nice, the wider the better the ride quality.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have a brand new pair of marathon plus in 26 x 1.5 for £40 if interested ?

binners

Another vote for Schwalbe City Jets. Been using them for years in the fatter 1.9 guise. Fast rolling, grippy, and the only time they’ve punctured was when a nail went through the tyre.

lee170
    Free Member

Sounds crazy but I ran schwalbe kojaks on my rigid mtb for 2 years in all weathers with no trouble at all. There slicks so ultra fast rolling, great puncture protection and strangely never lost traction in the wet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What (Ahem) tyres for commuting to replace my knackered ones?’ is closed to new replies.