Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What age were your kids when they became faster than you?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

My 8yr old wont be too far away which simply isnt funny at all.

ton

faster at 17, but i can suffer far far more and for far longer than him.

matt_outandabout

Uphill? This last month, at 13.5 years old.
    Downhill? I’m king of that descent, just.
    Endurance? I reckon he has a decade of growing yets…

The other two? As long as I can hold them off…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m 58, my lad’s 29, he’s a bit quicker than me but then…..what Ton said.

paul4stones

Running 800m on a track I was properly beaten by my 13.5yr old at the time. I was 44 I think. In my defence I would have trounced him if we’d kept going for another 20miles.
    Cycling – I can still hold him off on the hills just but I can’t lose him if he sits behind me. He’s 15.5 now.

5thElefant
    Free Member

26. Much, much faster…

spacey

My eldest is only 6 so I’m safe for now but I can’t wait for the day he beats me, will be a special one for sure!

MrOvershoot

15 going up hill, still not going down hill.

colp

My lad is 13.5 and is right on my tail on DH tracks, big speed increase since last year.
    Same thing on the snowboard too.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Getting close with the one who is coming up 13. I still have him on the ups and downs but I am having to work for it now. He still dies a death on long climbs though so routes can be set to favour me. I am actually looking forward to him getting faster as I have spent the last 6 or seven years pootling around.

stonecoldhhh
    Free Member

My lad was getting close at 15, now 16 just disappears up hills like there not there……..I can go longer though with secret training 😉

peabrain
    Free Member

My kids that ride are 15, 8 and 4. You will be pleased to know that I can beat all of them up the hill. The 15 year old is riding a Kona Stinky compared to my lightweight hardtail but a win is still a win 😀

Down – 15 year old is faster, I haven’t ridden down a proper hill with the 8 year old since he got his full suss so I have no idea, 4 year old – no contest yet..!

But skills wise – the 8 year old will happily do what I call huge drops – like the ones at the bottom of the WC Downhill at Fort Bill whereas I wouldn’t.

The 4 year old has been able to jump better than me since he was 3 and can do wee drops with more skill than me 😳

jonathan
    Free Member

10 year old can beat me up short steep hills and in sprints if he takes me by surprise – it’s that power to weight thing! I’m still ahead on longer stuff. He’s pretty much jumping better than me – it’ll be a while before he’s faster than me downhill I think, but not ages!

Sundayjumper

It’s a long, long time since I’ve been out for a ride with my Dad but I was faster than him by my late teens. He used to race when I was little but when he stopped the racing he didn’t stop the calorie intake. The old power/weight thing scuppered him pretty quickly.

My uncle, OTOH, is thinner than a very thin rake and stupidly fit. My cousin (33) went out with him (66) last weekend and was utterly hanging after a 40 mile road ride. Said he felt like passing out trying to keep up with his Dad up Little Switzerland.

Yak

I’ve got a chest infection right now and needed copious inhaler to walk back up the slight hill from school. Tonight we have the kids mtb club night that I help out at. I predict I will be dropped by 5yr olds… 😥 😳

igm

Our elder son (9) can beat my wife downhill, but uphill she’s still ahead.

I’m still ahead in both directions even with our younger son (4) on the bike with me – though on fire road decents it’s close. He had no problem travelling as fast as gravity will let him.

On snow however elder son is getting pretty quick he could beat my wife last year and if he was ahead of me I struggled to catch him. This year? Quicker still. And next year’s lessons are apparently based around clean flowing parallels on blacks and off-piste. He’ll still be nine at that point.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On bikes, not yet (50’s vs 20’s) and possibly not for a long time. In fairness my daughters don’t really ride though ! My middle daughter was a faster swimmer than me at 10, by 12 her breaststoke and butterfly where faster than my front crawl and that was just over 25. Longer distances she was just gone. Aside from the age issue it’s talent / aptitude at various sports.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What age were your kids when they became faster than you?’ is closed to new replies.