Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • what age do you give up cycling ?
  • wwaswas

"Why haven't I noticed it yet ?"

because your brain deteriorates at the same rate and you thus can't remember healing any faster in the past…

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Was just re-reading this thread and found it very amusing. However it did cross my mind that if the original poster is suddenly finding it much harder work to ride, he ought to get a medical check up. Seriously. My mum started to find stuff was more and more difficult and put it down to aging, but it turned out all her arterys were blocking up in her neck and she had to have an urgent operation to clear them (heavy smoker). There are other medical things that can cause you to start feeling worn out and tired as well, that could be serious. Might be worth getting it checked. If my mum had not gone to docs over something else, she would have had a stroke or died.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bernie you've gone quiet, were you hoping we would say it's alright to stop now 😉
    I've got a newly discovered heart problem (but I don't like to talk about it more than ten times per thread)
    And that's not going to slow me down, off out in a mo infact.
    Rather go quick with a heart attack on the bike than rolling round the living room floor with pizza in one hand and the remote in the other.
    50 in a weeks time, and I'm making loose plans right up to 70.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because your brain deteriorates at the same rate and you thus can't remember healing any faster in the past…

actually, you're right, I recall faceplanting on Chapel Gate in 2000 on a Sunday and by Wednesday the scab had fallen off, but now sometimes it takes a whole 5 days 🙁

Ti29er
    Free Member

Simon, you must be a marvel of modern science!
    I envy you.
    I've noticed a deteriation in my physical shape, fitness levels, suppleness in my joints (they most defiantely ache in wet weather) and my ability to recover as the years go by.
    I can't do the physical things I could manage even going back 10 years mores the pity.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

there was a great letter in the CTC magazine a while back from a man who rode 80 miles to celebrate his 80th birthday. He just narrowly missed his 8hr target due to a long cake stop. I was inspired!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon, you must be a marvel of modern science!

or perhaps I'm just not brainwashed into anticipating premature decay ? Instead I've found myself getting fitter, healthier, needing less sleep and happier :o)

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Rep: A ski pass ?
    Me: Yeh, at my age I get a bit knackered if I have to walk back up the slopes all day carrying my board !!

Too right Woody!!

At 52 I am often the oldest boarder on the slopes, but thanks to the MTB certainly not the slowest or least fit.

🙂 cheers.

Off to the Alps soon :))))

epicyclo

I'm usually the oldest soloist at 24 hour races, almost certainly the oldest on a single speed. (Brain deterioration – can't work out gears)

I have qualified for this years World Solo 24 hour Championship in Oz so I may have to learn how to use gears to have a chance 🙂

Generally speaking I don't suffer much from aches and pains, even after long rides, except when I have been off the bike for a period, eg travel, injury. I think it's important to ride conservatively when you age because injuries keep you off the bike much longer (or is that an excuse for me being a woose?)

So to anyone under retirement age, age is no excuse – get on yer bike and stop moaning 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

Actually gave up at 18 due to back injury but back after 6yrs and again at 26 pelvic fracture for 3yrs…

Give up? never but sometimes we have to stop for a while!

Hats to older ppl hammering away on 24hr solos!

You're old when you're 110yrs old. 8)

ratadog

I can still bite my own toenails (should I choose to)

No, sorry, you don't get out of that one so easily. Only way you know that for certain is a) you thought about it in the first place and b) you tried the experiment at least once. May not have bitten them but at the very least an attempted mouthing.

Woody
    Free Member

clarkpm4242
    Lucky git, I still haven't booked anything yet and I've just found out I've been accepted for S.O.R.T (Special Ops Response Team)training right in the middle of my holidays. They must need someone to use as ballast 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you tried the experiment at least once. May not have bitten them but at the very least an attempted mouthing.

I'm doing it now – next question ?

epicyclo

I have an unused batch of 72 virgins to bite my toenails. Apparently, their intended master failed to disintegrate…

reynard
    Free Member

One day, somewhere in the future, on a bleak moorland singletrack, a group of young riders will have paused to discuss this topic. As they warily contemplate their future and all the inevitable consequences of mortality, a familiar clatter and scuff of wheels will cause them to look back up the trail which they have just warily descended.
    A bike will sweep into view, ridden exuberantly but tidily by a grinning skeleton. As the skeleton sweeps through their midst he will nod, courteously, and with a knowing but manic skull grin he will utter but one word…
    'Never'
    and he'll vanish from the moor onto the perfect trails known only by the spirits.
    That'll be me.

Trekster

56 here;
    On Saturday I was out for 5.1/2hrs on the bike.
    Sunday = rest & shopping with `er indoors.
    Monday = 4hrs on the bike + 3/4hr swim in the evening.
    Tues = 1.1/2hr yoga
    Today(Wed) = 3hrs hill walking/hunting new trails & finding 😆
    Thurs = off to local trail for a few hrs
    Fri = still to decide
    Sat = more shopping, maybe new camera
    Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed = commuting by bike to work.

Give up?……never 😛

Ti29er
    Free Member

Epicyclo: How old did you say you were?
    How does one "qualify" for the solo Worlds?

Virgins, you say? They're pretty thin on the ground here – (a reverse pun me thinks). Will a SAE suffice? Please send sample for testing.

epicyclo

Ti29er – Member
    Epicyclo: How old did you say you were?
    How does one "qualify" for the solo Worlds?

Virgins, you say? They're pretty thin on the ground here – (a reverse pun me thinks). Will a SAE suffice? Please send sample for testing.
    Firstly, sorry about the virgins. I decided to cure them all of that condition and to hell with my toenails.

Age – mid 60s

Solo Worlds – You qualify by doing the qualifying races and getting a good result. In my case I did some endurance races in Oz last year and did well in age class, plus they looked at my 'Puffer solo results. I usually end up about 2/3 way down the solo class, but that's against all ages. I think that I got my results with a single speed helped my case 🙂

The Worlds has age classifications – except unfortunately in the SS class.

Ti29er
    Free Member

hereImpressed.
    My first stab at solo 24hr at the inaugrial UK champs here in Newcastleton at the end of May.
    Hoping not to come last!

epicyclo

Nowt to be impressed about (unless it's the virgins) – it's simply a matter of not stopping when you think you're about to die 🙂

I'm thinking of doing that one. Looks interesting.

Edric64
    Free Member

An 81 year old broke the hour for a 25 mile timetrial last season.Surely the op is taking the piss

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My mate's father in law (late 50s) comes out with us often. Whenever we have a break he'll be off to push his bike (with home made disk brake mounts) to the top of the steepest slope nearby and ride down it.

Its really quite impressive.

iDave
    Free Member

am i the only one here who doesn't think cycling is the be all and end all in life? yeah, certainly I want to be active long into old age, but all this 'never give up cycling' bollox…. its just one (great) activity among many. my dad waterskied into his late 60's, did he miss out by not being a mountain biker?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

am i the only one here who doesn't think cycling is the be all and end all in life?

it's not important, just fun – but we get to choose. For me, waterskiing would be too wet and passive – and given that this is a cycling forum oner might expect some prejudice towards it…

Terrydactyl

My birthday today…57.

Biked in to work this morning as usual, last weekend in the peak district, tonight is kayak training with my son, planing a big one this summer on Arran and Islay.

My basic rule….keep moving.

When asked "What time does the park close?" the wrong answer is "It closes at 9", the correct answer is "It's open until 9".

Happy days….

ourmaninthenorth

Happy Birthday Terrydactyl.

You old goat 😉

epicyclo

Terrydactyl – Member
    …My basic rule….keep moving.
    …When asked "What time does the park close?" the wrong answer is "It closes at 9", the correct answer is "It's open until 9".

That's about it.

It's not a question of accepting self imposed limitations such as deciding that at a certain age you should stop doing something, but of continuing to do the things you like until you are no longer physically capable of them.

That applies to anything, not just cycling.

It helps if you don't compare your performance in late middle age with that of your youth (or even with that of last year) 🙂

PS Happy Birthday

Ti29er
    Free Member

The older I get, the better I used to be.

Happy birthday, you old dinosaur! 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

epicyclo
    Are you the chap that rode a green Spot singlespeed at the 24s?

'The older I get the better I used to be' That's me, very much to the annoyance of everyone I know.
    Suddenly everyone is bloody old on here, I feel a fraud using oldgit when I'll only be 50 in a few weeks. But I supose I am /was a lot older than the guys I ride/rode with.

oomidamon

I know I'll be too old to ride the day I think "hmmm, golf – that could be the sport for me…."

Fortunately I think it'll be a long way off!

epicyclo

oldgit – Member
    epicyclo
    Are you the chap that rode a green Spot singlespeed at the 24s?

Not me.

Trekster

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

My mate's father in law (late 50s) comes out with us often. Whenever we have a break he'll be off to push his bike (with home made disk brake mounts) to the top of the steepest slope nearby and ride down it.

Its really quite impressive.

Is his name Robin by any chance?

Viewing 32 posts - 121 through 152 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘what age do you give up cycling ?’ is closed to new replies.