Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)
  • what age do you give up cycling ?
  • Rochey
    Free Member

YOU NEVER GIVE UP

tazzymtb

at one of the mtb duathalons I raced in 2007 there was a chap racing who was 74, he'd taken to mountain biking late after he decided that fell running was getting a bit too much for his knees! I want to be that fit in my 70's please 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

45 – don't panic, my gf started at 53, admittedly she only bimbles, (managed Dorset Old Harry Rocks). The very clear evidence on both body and brain is use it or loose it – keep going …

ski
    Free Member

jedi – Member

you only grow old when you stop

jedi speaks the truth

Age is just a number 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

Never give up until your legs fall off-then buy a motor cycle…

grynch
    Free Member

I gave up cycling when I was 17 and got my drivers license ( riding a bike was no longer cool ) I started cycling again when I was about 30.. I'm 55 now.

teagirl
    Free Member

Help! Eck! I'm 46 and the other girls I bike with are similar ages, we've never done as much riding. Just break on through the pain, or go to the Dr's. Ride at a sedate pace. Exercise now and you'll benefit later in life. Just don't give it up!

anagallis_arvensis

35 now gave up 2 years ago, hips are ****.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm 50 and I'm still chasing 70 year olds.

Giving up isn't an option, and I still haven't got the bike I want yet.

london_lady
    Free Member

Vets racing is now a very large scene both mtb and road racing. The number of supervet pairs entered for polaris (combined age >99) is also rather a large field (not quite there yet for us though, still only vets) and shows you are never too old!

mudshark
    Free Member

On a slightly different view point…

My mate's Gran was never a cyclist in the sports sense, just one of these people who thinks that if you're only travelling a mile or 2 you should ride it. So She was still riding into town on her bike with it's basket well into her 70s and only stopped when she had a stroke.

surfer
    Free Member

I was out running with a 58 year old recently and although his training is going well and I am on the way back from a long period off I struggled to keep up (he is an exceptional runner!)
    I am 45.

In summary give up when you want to and when it ceases to be come enjoyable.

pennine
    Free Member

Fifteen years ago, aged 47, I bought a mountain bike after my climbing partner had a heart attack. I'd an old 'racer' but only used it local. Rather enjoyed the off-road stuff and climbing took a back seat. I'd been mountaineering, rock climbing, fell running & caving since my late teens so this was something new & exciting. Surprisingly back then, well to me, after almost 30 years of 'being out there' my legs had to develop new muscles for cycling. Perhaps if I'd started earlier my knees wouldn't feel so knackered now. As many have said, there are lots of old 'flatbacks' still cycling.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well im 44 this summer….. i got into mtb just 2 years ago… and im getting lots of muscle building going on… i ride my local fells alot here in singletrack area and the hills are killers !…. i think in a few years time i prob get a road bike and keep on going….as long as mu body will let me…

BigJohn

A friend, John Malin, (known as Old John) sent me an email the other day, with a picture of his new Giant Anthem that he had bought (and swapped all his carbon & other lightweight bits across onto). He said…

"it's great, I thought the other one was good but this is much better, not quite as fast on singletrack as the old one but this has more travel and feels safer over the rough stuff, and still climbs well”

75, and still wanting to go fast over the rough stuff. Seventy bloody Five.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I don't understand the question 😕 and as far as middle age is concerned, you know all that fun you've had already? Well you still have it to look forward to all over again, this time with the addition of experience 8)

old_mtber
    Free Member

I'm 65 now and ride on and off road as much as possible including the Marin Rough Ride the last 2 years. Just take each day as it comes and try not to fall off too much!

teagirl
    Free Member

My Grandad was forced to give up cycling when he was 82 after an altercation with a bus. My Gran said, either you give up the bike or I'll leave you!

Carry on…..

redthunder
    Free Member

My dad's 71 and still rides and got a pacemaker.

Pix from Saturday > I hope I'm still riding at 71 😯

schmiken

We have a customer who rides every day with his girlfriend…… He's 95!

gordy2
    Free Member

Coming up to 66 and still mtb ing with 30 odd year olds.

Having trouble keeping up though !!

DezB
    Free Member

I can't believe such a stupid question got so many replies!! (just turned 46, btw).

kiwijohn

Harden the f¥¢k up

RustySpanner

When my knees go I'll get new knees and when my hips go, I'll have a new pair of those as well, ta.
    When my balance goes, I'll get a pedal trike, and when my eyes go, I'll get some specs.

Then if my lungs start to pack up, I think I might just get one of these:

Looks like fun!

Ms S's dad runs fell races for Middleton Harriers – he's 79 and not the oldest regular on the circuit…….

elaineanne
    Free Member

..who said on this thread quote : "depends on how short you are" :
    does being SHORT have an effect on age too ? lol
    crickey hope i dont shrink anymore cos i just measured me sen t'other day and im 4ft 11 inches…. but i am quite strong too for alittle un'…. you have to be strong with the 'hills' in this area !-you have no choice ! lol

Karinofnine

People to look up to ?

Lydia Gould – 54 – Lydia
    Mike Ives – Mick Ives Racing
    Ned Overend – Dedly Nedly or The Lung

I'm 54, it takes me longer to warm up (about 14k) but I can still kick a**e.

I once went to the physio, she was training someone, she looked at me and said to her trainee "This lady will be cycling well into her 80s". I thought, "Yup, you bet!"

You can't give up cycling, it isn't possible.

oldgit
    Free Member

@Karinofnine

I don't look up to Mick Ives, I just end up looking at his very clean heels.

alpin
    Free Member

i used to ride MTB with some fella, Eckhardt, whilst down by the Bavarian Alps just over one year ago.

he used to power up 1000m of climbing on our night rides. he was a little more cautious on the way down, mind.

didn't see him for some weeks. when he did turn up i asked where he'd been. he said he went off cycling the Alps for three weeks as it was his 70th birthday!

he was a bit wrinkly, but 70! i'd have guessed late 50's. top bloke.

stever
    Free Member

45 is middle aged only if you plan on dying young 😉

jond
    Free Member

Met this chap some years ago on a recumbent weekend in oxfordshire – turned out he lived a miles or so away from us:
    http://www.aqvm78.dsl.pipex.com/SWLDA/Other/RonBeams/RonBeams.htm

He died a few years ago at 99, I used to regularly see him pedalling one of his recumbents around the area, on one of his trikes he had electric-assist to help with a couple of steep hills.

AFAIA he didn't really take up cycling seriously 'til he'd retired in his earlier 60's.

jojoA1
    Free Member

The oldest competitor at the Strathpuffer was 70. The youngest was 11 pretty 'cradle to grave' stuff if you ask me.

Like someone above said, I'll only give up when I physically can't do it any longer and I will have tried trikes and hand bikes and all sorts before that's the case.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"…give up cycling…"

I'm 58 and I haven't the slightest idea what that means.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

45 and getting better, you cant beat experience :wink:Don't get left on the climbs only on the downhills, as long as I enjoy it then I will carry on as long as possible, been out with guys in late 50's who still kane it!

ourmaninthenorth

Derek Hodgins is one of the quickest people I know on a bike. I still can't do a 10 quicker than him. He's over 40 yerars my senior (and I'm mid-30s).

busydog
    Free Member

I'm 67 and didn't start mountain biking until I was 50, but still ride about 2000 miles a year, all mountain/trail riding—plan to keep right on going, albeit a little more carefully with each passing year (a couple broken bones and the occasional stich here and there teaches one that).

billyboy
    Free Member

Fifty threeeeeeeeeeee. I ride with a lady who is also fifty threeeeeee. We have a combined age of 106.

Dinorwic
    Free Member

I'm 49 and just starting out after many years away from a bike. It seems I have MANY years of enjoyment to come!!

Martyn
    (in the Scottish Borders)

Ti29er
    Free Member

What a strange question!
    I only started cycling into my 40's.
    Doing my first solo 24hr race this summer.

It takes more time to recover, & equally, the more time off the bike = more loss of fitness than you'd believe.
    Meaning you must keep riding several times a week to maintain the levels of fitness you want.

Go on any Trail Quest and there are guys and gals well into their 50's and 60's overtaking you / me all the time.

Much of it is a state of mind – which makes your original question very, very disturbing.

warton
    Free Member

my dad stopped cycling age 56. He had a Heart Attack and died while out on his bike, was found by a farmer peacefully sitting next to his bike on a country lane. I hope to god I go like that too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘what age do you give up cycling ?’ is closed to new replies.