Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What a top weekend – and a couple of 'big ups'
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

great weekend of bicycling 🙂

Decided to take advantage of the weather and put in my first century of the year (and only my second ever) on the road bike. 104 sunny miles and a couple of cafe stops later and i feel great, apart from getting the squits all evening.

Off to Brechfa on sunday with a couple of mates, a long drive made completely worthwhile by a lap of the awesome red and black routes with a couple of mates who'd not been before. I really started to feel the previous day's efforts towards the end and hit the bonk at the end of the black. We walked into the quite brilliant Drop Off Double Decker cafe looking somewhat knackered but elated. We'd barely crossed the threshold (and paid our fair) when we were offered a lake of chilli with potatoes fried with Tabasco, cheese and a slice of bread the size of a doormat. What a cracking way to finish a ride. 3 clean plates, a slice of cake and a coffee later and we leave for the camp site 3 happy people. Not only does Brechfa offer (for my money) the best man made trails south of the border but it now has the best (and quirkiest) cafes too 🙂

Great campsite (recommended on here), a few beers and a cold nights sleep led to bacon and egg baps before setting off for Afan.

more pics to follow

A lap of the July trail was all we could manage but it allowed us to top up the calories still further with Welsh Rarebit and a bowl of apple crumble and custard the size of a bucket.

So all in all, after a 142 mile weekend, i'm left with legs that don't wish to function at more than 10%, a spine that has fused into a single bone but a big BIG smile.

I like bikes

that is all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Avoid bonking by eating whilst riding 🙂 Top weekend tho, apart from the road biking bit.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we forgot to purchase food (well I did) before we got there and were too keen to get going to pop into the cafe.

I'd also like to offer a slow sarcastic hand clap to the guy on a Tinbred (with no helmet) who though that suddenly stopping on the run out of a kicker causing my mate to nearly hit him and me to have to bail into a tree to avoid the same was a good idea. And then to completely not realise he'd done anything wrong.

nickc

That was class wasn' t it? Top laughs all weekend. Oh and don't forget the cheeky whiskey tasting at 10am!

nickc

That was a special moment for me. What was his comment "that's the worst of it over" or something like that after you'd tee boned a tree to avoid hitting me.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ah yes the whisky, not cracked my bottle open yet, i'll save that for friday i think

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What a top weekend – and a couple of 'big ups'’ is closed to new replies.