Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What a difference a tyre makes
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Well after many mishaps yesterday I decided it was time for some new tyres on my SS commuter, it came with Kenda Kwik rollers in 28mm size.

These were basically knackered after around 1500 miles on London's mean streets, many cuts and very flat on top.

So i went looky today and came out of Evans with a pair of conti Ultra Gatorskins in 25mm flavour, my word they are so much quicker I'm thinking of emailing Kenda and reporting them under some kinda false advertising, the Kwik Roller certainly isn't.

I thought to myself spending £45 on a pair of tyres was a bit harsh, but then again I thought of what I haven't spent on the tube and it's the first thing I've replaced in the last 5 months and all is good, yey.

RealMan
    Free Member

Tyres don't make any difference. Its all a myth supported by maxxis.

High rollers and minions performance is exactly the same as 2.0 mountain kings.

steve_b77
    Free Member

WTF are you on about?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i use my slicks off road innit mush. Bigger contact patch = more grip offroad.

mudmonster
    Free Member

They are fast but I'd rather have a heavier tyre with at least a little bit of puncture protection.

steve_b77
    Free Member

All the reviews I've seen say they're great as commuter/training tyres.

Got recommended them in 2 different shops, only one had them in in 25mm both said much better than the Spesh Armadillos for the same money, but faster and better in the wet.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's the interface with the trail. Makes a lot of difference.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ok some the random thinkers on this thread are talking about MTB tyres, where as I'm talking about skinny ass road tyres, hmm interesting waste of a post

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

😀

It's a mountain biking forum.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm afraid my approach to London's mean streets has for many years been that I dislike punctures immensely. I therefore run a big, fat, heavy, draggy tyre with plenty of kevlar lining, with the biggest, thicket inner tube I can jame into it. That way, while I don't go terribly fast I also don't find myself cussing in frustration beside a road in the pouring rain while indifferent traffic streams past and my dinner congeals in the oven. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

It's a mountain biking forum.

I think not

mudpup
    Free Member

Shock horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    45quid pair of tyres perform better than 30 quid ones
    What did you expect?
    Doh

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm afraid my approach to London's mean streets has for many years been that I dislike punctures immensely. I therefore run a big, fat, heavy, draggy tyre with plenty of kevlar lining, with the biggest, thicket inner tube I can jame into it. That way, while I don't go terribly fast I also don't find myself cussing in frustration beside a road in the pouring rain while indifferent traffic streams past and my dinner congeals in the oven.

This very very clever man.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What a difference a tyre makes’ is closed to new replies.