Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What a difference a token makes…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Or two even, finally after 9 months of slack ownership my Pikes got fitted to another frame so I thought I’ll put those token things in. Now I’m no peaty but my God it’s nice to blow through the travel every rude!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m 12 stone, running 1 token, 20-22 percent sag depending where I am or if it’s wet, LSC five from fully closed.

Don’t get all these weirdos that run 30 percent sag and no compression complaining that small bump sensitivity is compromised if you go higher. Your tyres are meant to be doing the work on the small pebbles, not your fork. Want more traction on the front? Run super tackies!

It blows off really nicely in rocks and roots and uses it’s travel when it needs to. Tried someones setup with three tokens and between 25-30 percent sag (for me) and although it felt nice and soft on small bumps, it gave me loads of feedback through the bars through braking bumps.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for token

wrightyson
    Free Member

At 13 stone and pushing on through big rocky stuff at times I thik I’m gonna stick with 2 for now. Going to drop the pressure 5psi though as it left me with a good 30mm on travel unused.
    Now to sort the rear shock!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I love tokens. Great for when you want to use a supermarket trolley too.

SirHC

Running 3 tokens in both my Pikes (140mm) & Lyriks(170mm). I’m 14.5st in riding kit.

Have the Lyriks at 60psi to get 20-25% of sag and 1 click of LSC. Pikes are at 80psi to get 20-25% sag as well and 3 clicks of LSC.

Small bump is pretty good, but prefer to have a more stable fork that holds itself up rather than blowing through the travel.

Northwind

3 in mine, 150 29ers… I had some of the earlier 26er ones that came with none fitted and they just didn’t really work… Set up so fat americans can ride their mojo hd over a twig and get excited because they use full travel.

wilko1999
    Free Member

3 in 150mm 27.5″, previously had 3 in 160mm 26″. 14.5 stone kitted up and running 25% sag. Still blowing through the travel fairly easily. Anyway, they’re being returned for the creaking issue now, and I’ve splashed out on some new 36 floats. Damn 0% finance deals.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Try running more compression guys. The FAST modification done by TF tuned is carried out because only the last five clicks of compression actually have an impact.

The low speed adjuster has only a low efficency,on 15 clicks available, only the first 5 clicks have an impact (from fully closed) over 5 clicks the curve never change.

Mine blows off really nicely.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Running 5 in my Rev.

Winning.

chakaping
    Free Member

only the last five clicks of compression actually have an impact.

I’d dispute that.

I only use the first four clicks of compression on my Pike, going from 1 to 4 depending on whether I’m riding (for example) on my local trails or at Hebden Bridge.

Four clicks gives me noticeably less dive on steep, bumpy trails.

prezet
    Free Member

Running 4 in my 140mm Pikes/Scout with 5 clicks LSC from closed. 70psi which is about 20% sag. Seems nice enough but I’m no suspension guru.

soundninjauk

Maybe I should see if I’ve got any tokens in mine. I’ve (perhaps naively) assumed that it would come from the manufacturer with a vaguely sensible starting setup in the first place (PSI, rebound and LSC notwithstanding).

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m rather willing to believe that TF tuned wouldn’t be working for them if it didn’t do what it said on the tin (they don’t make that much money off doing the FAST stuff, looking at how little more they charge than fast for doing it).

Craig over at avalanche confirmed it as well, his discontinued charger damper mod did much the same. As does the Ohlins piston kit.

I can’t feel much change at the open end of the LSC scale. Then again, I grew up as a teen riding massively overdamped and oversprung forks – so what works for me might not work for others I guess.

However I really do think that the Pike works really well still with the LSC ramped up massively, so I don’t see why anyone runs their forks so open.

BillOddie

4 in my 140mm 29er pikes. 85psi. Nice and plush off the top but ramp up quite a bit.

Running middling LSC depending on conditions.

Euro
    Free Member

My 150mm 26ers came with two tokens but i rode them for a month with none to see how they behaved. I try to run around 20% sag and had them fairly firm and they were fine if a little harsh. After the trial i went the whole hog and put both tokens and dropped the pressure (to approx 85psi) to get a similar firmness but with a lot more feel. LSC 4 from closed (don’t know what that means btw, but that’s what i have 😀 )

wrightyson
    Free Member

Could someone please explain the parameters between lsc and actual rebound. What should be where for what?

doubledunter
    Free Member

Im now running three tokens and the recommended pressure for my weight 😕 around 85psi,which turns out to be reasonably accurate after all, this was recommended by TF after a yearly service and not getting on with them for nearly that whole year,so much so I was on the verge of flogging them and either going for a new lyrik or Fox 36’s, granted doesnt feel “great” bimbling along but at speed and on steep my confidence has come back, no diving and very very stable, Ive came to the conclusion pikes run better stiffer, somewhere between 15% & 20% sag, LSC 4 clicks from nowt with 7clicks of rebound seems to suit me fine and dandy 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

So I’m about 12st on a 650b 160mm Pike.

Got two tokens in and currently only 50psi I think, only just about getting full travel – but is anyone else that low?

zelak999
    Free Member

3 tokens running 50 psi, i’m 12.5 stone and use most of the travel every ride.

zelak999
    Free Member

wilko1999 – Member

I’ve splashed out on some new 36 floats. Damn 0% finance deals.
    How much and where from Wilko? gotta love 0%

chakaping
    Free Member

3 tokens running 50 psi, i’m 12.5 stone and use most of the travel every ride.

Thanks zelak, this thread is turning out to be quite useful.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Tredz Zelak. They are the 2017 36 Float FIT4 160mm, 27.5. Not cheap at £879, there’s no way I’d normally pay that much for some forks (most I’ve ever paid was £480 for the Pikes that are broken), but with 0% I couldn’t resist. Ordered yesterday afternoon, finance approved instantly and they turned up at 8:15 this morning 🙂

philwarren11
    Free Member

1 token.
    160mm 26″
    25-30% sag
    1-4 clicks of LSC depending on steepness/jumps.
    Pretty slow rebound. Better for me on the jumps as it doesnt bog down and ping you out of them.

Works for me. 15 stone kitted up on an Alpine 160.

Don’t get all these weirdos that run 30 percent sag and no compression complaining that small bump sensitivity is compromised if you go higher. Your tyres are meant to be doing the work on the small pebbles, not your fork. Want more traction on the front? Run super tackies!

It blows off really nicely in rocks and roots and uses it’s travel when it needs to. Tried someones setup with three tokens and between 25-30 percent sag (for me) and although it felt nice and soft on small bumps, it gave me loads of feedback through the bars through braking bumps.

I don’t get the weirdos that run their forks too harsh with loads of LSC. Forks are meant to work all the time, not just on big hits. I run two tokens in my Lyriks & 30% sag, with virtually no LSC. Great on small bumps, great on big hits and just about use full travel once a ride

legend
    Free Member

I’ve splashed out on some new 36 floats. Damn 0% finance deals.

I wonder if you payments or coating will run out first 😉

Neb

Any one have experience with dual position pikes and tokens?

I’ve got 1 token in, 25% sag at about 85 psi. I weigh about 80kg.

sweaman2
    Free Member

So I’m about 12st on a 650b 160mm Pike.

Got two tokens in and currently only 50psi I think, only just about getting full travel – but is anyone else that low?

I’m running 55PSI; 2 tokens and ~3 clicks of LSC on a 650b 160mm Pike. I only get full travel occasionally. I do adjust the LSC depending on if I’m riding steep or not steep trails though.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What a difference a token makes…’ is closed to new replies.