Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • what 853 steel frame?
  • brakes
    Free Member

I'd like an 853 steel hardtail that will take a 140mm fork but isn't built like a tank – say 4-5 lbs

I know it's a common question but it seems that my only option is a Cotic Soul, is there anything else I'm missing (apart from custom) that would fit the bill?

poppa
    Free Member

Off the top of my head, the Genesis Alpitude can be bought frame only for £400:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/alpitude/alpitude/overview/

brakes
    Free Member

Alpine is probably too heavy
    didn't realise Genesis did frame only – will check that out, ta

the-muffin-man

IME a Soul won't be right with 140mm forks – a BFE sounds more like what you need.

giantjason
    Free Member

What about a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert if the Alpineis too heavy.

I have an Alpine and use it for everything.

Northwind

"IME a Soul won't be right with 140mm forks – a BFE sounds more like what you need. "

Why? The new Soul is built for 140mm and the geometry is the same for the BFE and Soul.

brakes
    Free Member

I had a PA and didn't like it that much, felt a bit dead, which is why I'm looking at 853

the-muffin-man

Sorry – didn't realise they'd changed the angles of the Soul.

Ringo
    Free Member

They haven't changed angles on the soul and I think your right in saying it would not be the best bike to run at 140mm 120s where it's at for a soul IMO

sprocker
    Free Member

I have an alptitude for sale 18", 69.5 deg head with 140mm fork. 5lb ish

Northwind

"Sorry – didn't realise they'd changed the angles of the Soul. "

They haven't- they've beefed up the frame so it's warrantied for 140mm. But the Soul and BFe angles have always been the same, so if you think 140mm will work in a BFe then there's no reason it won't work with a Soul.

tootin

I've always wanted one of these it's not 853 but I'm sure Columbus is just as good 😉

tootin

woops not 140mm! oh well

brakes
    Free Member

that's a pretty bike tootin
    looking at the price I'm glad it's not suitable!

scotabroad

Ive got an 853 Price Albert and really like it, but I believe they were a limited edition??

stompy

Ive got an 853 Price Albert and really like it, but I believe they were a limited edition??

Yep, only 100 made….. I've got one 😀 never sell her, she's ace…..

Wally

I also have a 853PA baby blue – ridden today SS. Very solid frame.
    OK we are up to 3.

brant
    Free Member

I'd like an 853 steel hardtail that will take a 140mm fork but isn't built like a tank – say 4-5 lbs

How about True Temper OX Platinum?

bobster
    Free Member

is there anything else I'm missing (apart from custom) that would fit the bill?

When you say that, would you consider Curtis?

OK, not 853, but the new Prince Albert is Reynolds 725 and closer to 5lbs.

brakes
    Free Member

How about True Temper OX Platinum?

is that the Ragley Blue Pig? I have been looking at these, but worried it might be a bit slack and I'd have to leave the 'blue pig' sticker off (sorry don't like that sticker)

I also don't like the Cotic head tube badge but it wouldn't put me off

OK, not 853, but the new Prince Albert is Reynolds 725 and closer to 5lbs.

interesting

my other requisite is 'available in black' 😀

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

pipedream sirius … ! nice bike, nicer price …http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_2010.html

will do 130mm

Sorry, no black. Just bright green and orange.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have an original small PA with the extra tube, can't believe there is any difference in ride (apart from weight) than the 853 version..
    Anyway its a great bike and superfun built up nice and burly with pikes, bash, short stem etc etc.

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, I had a medium mk2, part of my dislike was that I came from a DB Kobe Ti and was disappointed with the ride

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The pipedream sirius looks like an interesting frame, good price when compared to other 853 rivals.

Although I think the seat tube, top tube, stay mounting looks a little untidy as the stays join the seat tube at a point higher than the top tube.

jfeb
    Free Member

Swayndo of these parts is/was selling a DB Morning Glory which I believe is, in effect, a Ti Prince Albert. How about that?

brakes
    Free Member

aren't they a bit of a gate?
    don't really want to go s/h either.

freeridenick
    Free Member

what about one of the new 456 ti – think they are out soon?

brakes
    Free Member

not enough money for ti, sadly

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘what 853 steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.