• This topic has 35 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tang.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What 700c rubber for road/ off road
  • onandon
    Free Member

Looking for lightweight – up to 400g tire for 50% on and off road.
    Fast rolling on road and off road able to cope with hard pack.

Thinking Kenda small block 8 pro, Schwalbe sammy slick.

What else to look at ?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Challenge roubaix or compass barrow or stamped pass, gran Bois Cypres, panaracer passeler pt all good tyres

BadlyWiredDog

Open Paves.

aP
    Free Member

Clement X’PLor USH

fudge9202
    Free Member

Asked this question last week here and after some research on the suggestions I decided to go for Vittoria Cross XN Pro Folding Tyres, really fast on the road and good grip on hardback with the side lugs enough confidence in the turns.

ceepers

I like those Clements mentioned above.

the00
    Free Member

There was a fair bit of talk about the Panaracer Pasela last week. Not tried them, but they might be what I try next when my Schwalbe Marathons wear out.

lunge

If you want cheap, my On-One BSC’s are pretty good for £20 an end, the 33mm version sneak into your weight limited too.

onandon
    Free Member

Vittoria Cross XN Pro Folding Look ok but how long do they last.
    I was thinking more along the lines of racing Ralph’s or similar.

failedengineer

Continental Cyclocross Speed seem pretty good. Cheap, too.

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, looked at them but apparently they puncture easier than a condom. Not sure if that’s true but quite a few reviews say so.

tenfoot

Yep, looked at them but apparently they puncture easier than a condom. Not sure if that’s true but quite a few reviews say so.

I’ve heard the same said about Small Block 8’s.

FWIW I previously had Small Block 8s and am now using the Contis after a punctureful dalliance with Land Cruisers. I haven’t had any punctures yet, in 300 miles, but probably will now I’ve said that.

johnnystorm

On One Gravel roads are good. First time I’ve fitted the same tyres twice. Had a set of Challenge Gravel Racers in between and they werent much cop.

lunge

Schwalbe G-One have just got a very good review on Road.cc

failedengineer

No puncture yet with the Contis. Only 100 miles or so, though.

lardman
    Free Member

Spesh Trigger Pro’s here. Roll well on both surfaces, and light. Running tubeless with no punctures in over a year.

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on just what sort of off-road it is. But for gravel tracks, most sensible touring tyres would be fine. Just get a wide enough size, maybe about 32mm or 35mm.

I like the Panaracer Pasela PT. Fast enough for roads, and OK for paths etc. And no punctures in a few thousand km.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

G-one or even S-one, depending on terrain.

richardthird

A lot of these are weighty. G-one is 500g. Not that it makes much difference.

As fat as you can fit obviously, but:

Road biased, but unexpectedly good on DRY trails; Barlow Pass Extralight 330g

Trail biased, but unexpectedly fast on road; Nano Race 460g.

Both not officially TLR but I’ve had both up nicely enough on TLR and non TLR rims.

Xylene
    Free Member

Vittoria Cross XN Pro Folding Look ok but how long do they lasy

They will try and kill you on wet roads though.

Panaracer Gravel Kings replaced my Croxx XN Pros and so far I haven’t been spat off on any wet corners

StefMcDef
    Free Member

40C TCS tubeless WTB Nanos. Brilliant tyres. Have transformed the comfort factor of my Cotic X over the Conty CX Kings they replaced. Also feel a bit less draggy on the road, although that’s a bit subjective.

sq225917
    Free Member

Challenge Gravel grinder 32mm or 38mm, as fast as a 28 on the road and solid as long as its dry offroad.

amedias
    Free Member

I like the Panaracer Pasela PT. Fast enough for roads, and OK for paths etc.

Road biased, but unexpectedly good on DRY trails; Barlow Pass

I can +1 both of them, to the point that I actually have a couple of bikes set up with a Pasela on the rear and a Barlow on the front at the moment.

Fine for dryish hardpack off-road a bit of gravel and great on road too.

kerley
    Free Member

I used Halo Courier which were great on hardpack/gravel.

Used a Berlin on back and standard on front. 29c so a good size and not too heavy as the Berlin is VERY puncture resistant.

PJ266
    Free Member

I have had 35mm Paselas on my commuter/tourer/gravel bike for the last couple of years, one puncture I think, recommended.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Quirrell, I’ve just fitted the vittoria XN pro tyres are they really that bad on wet roads?

trademark
    Free Member

Clement X’plor USH, quoted as 435g.

redstripe
    Free Member

I like Schwalbe CX Pro’s, lightish and cheap too

onandon
    Free Member

As per normal single track protocol, I’ve ignored everyone and ordered some Hutchinson Black Mamba CX’s.
    Apparently very puncture proof, light weight, fast rolling and competent off-road as well as on.

Not a bad price £25 each. I’ll see how they go.

irvb

Moved up from 28mm to 33.3mm Rivendell Jack Browns – virtually slick, so not for mud, but my favourite tyre for comfort and haven’t had a puncture in over 1000 miles.

Bought from Velo Vitality in Brighton, who have a good selection of unusual rubber.

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrell, I’ve just fitted the vittoria XN pro tyres are they really that bad on wet roads?

I made a u-turn, and went down like I was on ice, I then headed home and found the back end twitching all over the place in heavy rain, very odd experience.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using XN Pro’s for several years now on my Whyte Saxon.
    They’ve coped well on and off road all year round I get around 1500 miles out of a rear tyre.
    I haven’t noticed any grip issues and I’ve ridden in some pretty crap condition the past few winters.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As I’ve just fitted them I’ll give them a go, although they do get great online reviews will run them with a little less psi.

wiggles
    Free Member

Anyone using the xn pros tubeless? Seem ideal for me, s-one is my next choice but out off stock everywhere.

wiggles
    Free Member

Bump in case anyone has tried them tubeless?

tang
    Free Member

I run the vittoria XG pro tubeless no problems.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What 700c rubber for road/ off road’ is closed to new replies.