Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What 3.5/4lb 100m fork Singlespeedable Alu frame?
  • 13thfloormonk

Is there such a thing?

My Charge Duster is great, but I'd love to save some weight on the frame, and now I know I like singlespeed, would quite like horizontal drops.

A chameleon would maybe fit the bill but I couldn't find a weight for them, plus I'm not sure what they would be like with shorter forks. Nor am I sure it would be very sensible running it rigid either.

Basically an aluminium version of the Pace 104 would be great, but I don't know of anything.

What is there?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Tinbred?

Rorschach
    Free Member

scandal

13thfloormonk

Tinbred is Titanium isn't it? If I was into titanium money then I'd just get the Titanium duster I think.

Does the Scandal have horizontal drops? It looks great otherwise, but if I was going for an aluminium frame with a derailleur hanger then I'd probably save up for a Yeti ARC or something.

I can't find anything so far, remembered the Gary Fsher Rig but think that might be 29er only?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don't think the new Scandals have sliding dropouts but if you are patient you'll rpobably find an old one on fleabay. Or put a wanted thread on the forum. I've got one as a SS and I'm loving it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

There's a 14" Scandal on ebay if you are on the wee side.

IA

It's not Alu, it's steel but otherwise it fits the bill. Kona explosifs with sliding dropouts? Though I hear they bend easy 😉 (check the EUCC forum)

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=explosif still slidy dropouts. Probably not cheap. Not sure the exact weight but they used to be pretty light.

tazzymtb

scandal , soul dillinger, misfit dissent, giant did an xtc that was ss acouple of years ago and they turn up on ebay or go big wheel on the front and get a carver 96er.

epicyclo

Voodoo Bokor is about 3.6lbs

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member
    13thfloormonk

Interesting suggestions there, thanks!

I'm not ready to go 29er, I'm enjoying 26" wheels plenty and don't think the riding I'm doing would really benefit from bigger wheels. I could almost be persuaded to switch by that soul frame, it looks great.

If I was going steel then it would probably be that new Pace which looks amazing!

The Endorfin seems to fit the bill though! Not sure about the looks but will definitely be investigating the geometry. Found the Bokor on the web last night, read some dodgy comments about the dropouts though, would want to investigate that.

Surprised there are so few compared to the selection of steel s/s frames, maybe a niche too far!

Edit: Just had a proper look at the Endorfins, they look fantastic! Definitely need to investigate their demo bikes i think…

foureyes
    Free Member

The Endorfin is amazing, I've had the SS for a year or two and love it. using a rigid fork with it and the bike is just great fun to ride. I've ridden a few harsh aluminium frames and despite being really stiff and direct the frame is also really comfy. the dropouts are really deeply grooved into the frame with two M5 bolts either side, no issues at all with slippage. i'm 6 foot 2 on a large and its long enough to muscle around in your single gear but not a barge. totally in love with it 🙂

tazzymtb

the soul frames look lovely. I'm going to import a couple of dillingers, one for me and one for sale soon just have to decide on the which frame/anodised EBB though. probably a white/blue and polished/red methinks 😀

13thfloormonk

Foureyes, I may have to plague you with questions, but for now, what's the tyre clearance like? I like my 2.35 ADvantages!

Don't supposed you're local to Edinburgh? 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Nicolai Argon ROCC

foureyes
    Free Member

ooh i like that nicolai!

Monk – over 200 miles away im afraid, off to measure now.

ok it has a 2.1 Bontrager MudX in it now. I've measured the chainstay and seatstay gaps at the point where the tread of the tyre is at its widest. tricky to get right but at the tyres very widest point the chainstays are about 72mm and the seatstays are over 80mm internal dimension.

foureyes
    Free Member

actually i think i have a 2.35 advantage on a wheel in the garage, let me know if you need me to try it. sods law will have it on a 20mm front wheel i expect!

13thfloormonk

Oooh, that Nicolai does look good, should have been an obvious one to check as well. £1100 though! Thats Titanium money…

Thanks foureyes, don't go to any more hassle, I'm definitely in the market but reality just came back to visit and it'll be late summer before I'm realistically ready to buy, thanks for the measurements though!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What 3.5/4lb 100m fork Singlespeedable Alu frame?’ is closed to new replies.