Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What 29er XC/Trail wheels?
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new pair of wheels for my Scandal. I taco’d the front and whilst I’ve pulled it back to a reasonable shape I don’t have too much confidence in it, initally I was going to re rim both front and back with LB carbon rims but have started looking at full wheelsets.

The BOR rimmed sets on Superstar look promising, anyone have a pair or use the rims? I’ve already a pair of Hope Hoops on another bike and have been happy enough so far. Anything else worth considering? The bike with the Hope Hopes fills the burlier category so I’m looking to lighten up the Scandal a bit.

mboy
    Free Member

Borrowed a mates wheels with the BOR XMD333 rims for 24/12 the other weekend. My only criticism of them is that they’re a bit narrow now that we’re all used to wider rims, but I suppose 24.5mm external and 19mm internal width is fine for most for XC use. VERY lightweight though, and tough for what they are. Seemed stiffer than a Stans Crest to me anyway.

Just going through the same dilemma myself actually, cos Superstar also have the Pacenti rims on a build at low prices too. The TL28 looks on paper like an ideal rim, but then I’ve heard they’re a bit soft and dent easily.

nikk
    Free Member

Pacenti TL28 here, great so far.

Anecdotal evidence of denting rims is useless IMHO. Unless the rim is measured properly for hardness / wall thickness etc, such stories are just heresay created by people that pushed things past their design limits (too low pressure), were unlucky, or just had too high expectations of how hard they can ride something without breaking it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers, the narrowness might be an issue, the rims I have just now are fairly narrow and I do wish sometimes I’d went bigger, that was before I bought my other bike though.

I’ll take a look at the Pacenti’s.

mboy
    Free Member

19mm internal width isn’t narrow per se, it’s just narrow compared to what many of us are used to now. If you never run anything bigger than a 2.25″ tyre that’s still plenty wide enough.

Almost clicked to buy a pair myself today, still umming and ahhing. Flip side is I want to build a CX bike in the next couple of months, and the BOR 333’s would be an ideal tubeless CX wheel set… So even if I do decide they’re too narrow after all for my MTB, they will readily find use elsewhere…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What 29er XC/Trail wheels?’ is closed to new replies.