Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What 29er winter "race" tyre?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Kryton, Toro’s are fantastic, much less of a pronounced transition than a Maxxis HR2 for example (which I don’t get on with either incidentally). I am more of a leaner, but found the transition fairly smooth on Toro’s.

Should add that to date, my only experience was running them in 26×2.35″ flavour, but I’ve just ordered some 29er versions which I shall be running through the winter on the rear at least (may fit a WTB Vigilante on the front, but way overkill for an XC race tyre but then I’m not XC racing right now).

Toro’s aren’t the lightest of tyres, but they don’t half grip!

EDIT: FWIW I can’t stand the outgoing Nobby Nic’s, complete lack of grip almost anywhere (a Ralph seems grippier in most situations!), they wear out at a ridiculous rate, and though light they don’t have many redeeming features at all… Also, at a push, Conti X-King Black Chilli in 2.2″ would make a decent winter rear tyre for less muddy conditions…

weeksy

I think after last nights rains, if it’s for Crowthrone this weekend you may want the mud tyre 🙂

faustus

I’m less looking forward to Crowthorne on Sunday now…don’t have a mud tyre to hand yet, was hoping to get away with it.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m 99% certain conditions aren’t going to be worse than Brass Monkeys at Tunnel Hill in January this year so I’m still not fannying around with tyres. May adjust the pressure a touch if it’s really muddy 😉 lol

Kryton57

After some investigation…

The Toro seems expensive – £50, and is reputed to come up small at 1.9 for the “2.15”, and is heavy at 730g. Unless someone will tell me the 2.35 comes up small as well more like a 2.2 and is much lighter, then I’m going for the Beaver I think.

welshfarmer

I have just ordered up a Beaver in 2.25 exo flavour to replace my Ikon for the winter on the back. Sticking with the mountain king up front.

rickon
    Free Member

I thought the Beaver was exactly built for what you’re after. Rons too.

Mud X…. they’re a mud tyre. Draggy.

mboy
    Free Member

2.35″ Toro is more like a 2.2″ from other manufacturers yes. Would say the 2.15’s are more like a 2″ than a 1.9.

As for weight… It’s not everything. Toro’s are pretty fast, grippy and reliable. Mud X’s are light and grippy, but not fast. Rocket Rons are fast and light, but not grippy.

Everything is a compromise sadly! Beavers are a compromise too, just less obviously so in any one particular area.

tomaso
    Free Member

This is an insight into a world I know nothing about!

stu_d
    Free Member

I was at the first round of the Winter series and I had not gotten round to changing my (29er)x king front and Race king rear. Apart from about 4 places around the lap they coped well in the conditions. If you wanted more grip how about Mountain king 2 front and x king rear?

I did round 1 on X-Kings front and back – same experience. I had a pair of Nobby Nics on standby – I’ll put those on for round 2 as its likely to be much wetter. First couple of laps are ok but after that it gets sludgy with the volume of traffic

frogstomp

I’ve got X-Kings on for tomorrow.. can’t be bothered to change them so will just muddle through. One has a slow puncture, which will hopefully translate into more grip as the race goes on.. 🙂

Kryton57

My Beaver arrived. No wonder it grips well, the compound feels really soft.

bigjim

The Toro seems expensive – £50,

girlfriend, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hutchinson-toro-tubeless-ready-hardskin-race-tyre/rp-prod124937

I’ve not fitted mine yet but they smell great and look quite a bit skinnier than the numbers would suggest.

DanW
    Free Member

No wonder it grips well, the compound feels really soft.

The numbers don’t seem super soft but my rear tyre is already looking dead after a month or two 😥

wilko1999
    Free Member

Got a pair of those 2.35 Toros from CRC for 20.49 each, and they are definitely more like a 2.2, if that. However they’re excellent tyres fast enough and provide loads of grip in a wide variety of conditions including wet mud. They seem to clear well too, I’m very happy with them.

njee20
    Free Member

Mud X’s are light and grippy, but not fast

They’re not light.

Rocket Rons are fast and light, but not grippy.

Depends on the terrain, they’re dreadful in really sticky stuff, but fine in wet, loamy stuff.

Kryton57

Thanks BigJim I couldn’t resist the price of that Toro. So now my setup is:

Everday wheels: Toro/Ron, or Ralph/Ralph in the summer.

Race Wheels: Beaver/Ron or Ron/Ralph, possibly Ralph/Ralph in the summer

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What 29er winter "race" tyre?’ is closed to new replies.