Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What 29er wheels?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

250-300MAX (bit cheaper will carry a lot of weight here) for pretending to enduro, must be lightish and toughish, big and strong, enough to turn me on…….er oh yeah 15mm and 142*12

Go!

mboy
    Free Member

Chuck in £50 more and you can have my Crossmax XL’s off me… 😛

Failing that, you might be lucky and score yourself a pair of 2nd hand Hope hubs on Stans Flows or similar for your budget…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cheers, would do but I feel I’m in enough trouble buying the bits to attach the wheels to!

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

i have superstar ex23 rims on switch hubs. they havemt skipped a beat, and ive not been particularly gentl on them. may not be wide enough though?

fifeandy
    Free Member

So you want light, strong and cheap – pick 2 of 3 i’m afraid.

Tracey

Have a look at the Alex Voltar wheels that Merlin were doing a deal on. Good hubs, rims, well built and wont break the bank

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye Tracey did, qr back end tho. Will check again

Edit checked: no fronts, bugger

edhornby

I’ve got a set of the Volnar on chosen hubs, they are good although I’m not at all rad so can’t comment on strength really. check the rear hub, mine is a standard QR but is 15mm maxle front

mboy
    Free Member

Have a look at the Alex Voltar wheels that Merlin were doing a deal on. Good hubs, rims, well built and wont break the bank

Had a set, hubs are pretty good albeit the bearings don’t last all that long. Standard sizes though, so can replace with higher quality bearings when they die. Both ends convertible between QR and bolt thru which is useful too (though separate parts needed, speak to your LBS, anyone with a Raleigh account can order these wheels or spares for them).

Rims are soft as shite though. They make the first gen DT Swiss 5.1 and 4.2 rims look tough!

Cheers, would do but I feel I’m in enough trouble buying the bits to attach the wheels to!

You wouldn’t regret finding the extra cash though… They’re really rather good wheels!

sambob
    Free Member

I rate my WTB asym i29s on Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, not particularly light but gave my 2.35 Schwalbe tyres a really good profile and they’re mega strong. I’ve smashed them into some sneaky rocks in the peak and they’ve remained straight and true, despite it being me that built them.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m in a similar quandary being a hefty rider.

I’m tempted to go with second hand hope pro 2s on Arch EX rims.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m running DT Swiss EX 1501 One wheels (EX471 rim on 240 hubs) and they are awesome. They might be too much for you but the. But I would defintely look at DT Swiss either as wheelest such as the E1700 or something built on either EX471 rims or EX512 rims.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

May seem a curve ball, but my Spank Oozys have been faultless for six months so far. Tough, light and cheap. Take that, KB!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What 29er wheels?’ is closed to new replies.