Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What 29er tyres for Mayhem this year
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so who’s going to stick their neck out and predict what tyres i should be getting ready for this. 😕

Its my first year doing Mayhem and i have heard tell that the conditions can go from Califonian Hardpack to Somme Mud and back again, all within the space of 24 hours. 😯

So what ones do i need to buy as I’m sure that my Spesh The Captains won’t cover all those conditions 🙁

jfeb
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs are brilliant all-rounders. Although not a mud tyre, my 2.4″s performed well enough through the winter that I didn’t bother taking them off.

I did replace the rear with a Maxxis Ardent because the 2.4 RR was a bit wide for my frame and it seems to be similar in terms of grip and drag (lack of).

trail_rat
    Free Member

have you ridden mayhem …2.4 are you mad … you must have like 5 inches of mud clearance !

if i had 29ers on my race bike id be running some CX tires as some of the top solo guys did last year…..

i ran 1.8s on my 26inch wheels and they coped well with the mud !

brakeswithface

As above – 2.4 inch tyres = carrying bike! 1.8s on 26 incher here too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

My Bonty Mud X’s were great at CLIC, from experience though I’ll be taking a pair of Conti Twister CX tyres just in case.

jfeb
    Free Member

LOL. No, not ridden MM (my recommendation was based on “normal” mixed dry/mud conditions, which appears to be irrelevant for this discussion).

Sounds like a bike might be the wrong form of transport 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

It’s going to be dry this year! Honest!

bigsi
    Free Member

mrsflash – see now is guranteed to rain 🙄

For the record i have gone for a set of these which are a bargain.

http://www.chevincycles.com/products.php?plid=m29b49s380p5730 The frame has reasonable clearance so hopefully they will do the job, if not I’ll be doing alot of walking 🙁

mrsflash
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant, it’s going to be hideously muddy and horrible again, obviously.

terrahawk
    Free Member

bigsi – I got a pair of those from Chevin. Bargain-tastic indeed.

crazy-legs

Anything like this will see you right… 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

I also got a pair of the Mud X from Chevin even though i never really got on with the 26″ versions. I bought them especially for Mayhem as they were such a good price (just incase it rains but then what’s the chance of that in June….)
    I run The Captains as well at the moment and think they are pretty good but also bought a pair of Small Block 8’s as i am hoping for a dry Mayhem this year and love the 26″ versions although i run 2.35’s and the 29er verson are 2″.

AdamM
    Free Member

Have a pair of Panaracer CinderCross already installed on a spare wheelset…

sofaking
    Free Member

small block 8’s for me, if it wet i’m staying in the van

singlespeedstu

sofaking – Member

small block 8’s for me, if it wet i’m staying in the van

As no one’s willing to do the run we won’t be starting and won’t need to use any tyres at all. 8)

bigsi
    Free Member

sss – WTF, a running start? like le mans of old?

Well I’m not doing the first lap then, i refuse to run when i have a perfectly good bike i could be riding 🙄

singlespeedstu

Well I’m not doing the first lap then, i refuse to run when i have a perfectly good bike i could be riding

My thoughts exactley. 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

Just walk at the back with the cool solo kids 😉

singlespeedstu

mrsflash – Member

Just walk at the back with the cool solo kids

Yes i told the other three they could do that but they’re still not interested…… 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

As pit bitch to one of “The Dames of Neich” solo rider I will be taking:

WTB Exiwolf 2.3″ for dry/damp/mixed conditions.
    WTB Stout front / Michelin AT rear for wet conditions.
    WTB Weirwolf 2.55″ f+r if its really dry and bumpy.

SSP

big_n_daft
    Free Member

geax saguro for dry
    ACX front crossmark rear for smattering of rain
    Mud X for “normal” mud
    CX tyres for the rain if there are large sections cut through the ferns

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What 29er tyres for Mayhem this year’ is closed to new replies.