Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What 24" kids bike
  • Bedds
    Free Member

Evening all,

My oldest lad is outgrowing his 20″ Islabike and I want to get him a replaceent. He’s 7 and a pretty good rider. I want to get him a hardtail with discs if possible, and on a 24″ wheel.

What are peoples thoughts?

Ive seen Scott and Specialized but unsure as to what the forks etc are like at this size.

Cheers
    Ian

yetidave
    Free Member

we have a carrera blast, but took the forks off and put a set of rebas on, shortened to 80mm travel. also ditched the brakes, seat post and bars, and changed the grip shift to trigger.

yetidave
    Free Member

looking at a genesis core for the younger one.

Markie
    Free Member

Had the same with my little one just before Christmas. In the end went for the Isla beinn 24 as it fit best – things like the orbea mx24 team are a fair bit longer and would have been too big. She’s 129cm tall.

What I’m saying isn’t go for the Isla if discs are important, but do watch the sizing! Not all 24s are the same!

garage-dweller

Look at the voodoo bakaa

We just bought one pre xmas, yes I know it’s Halfords but for the £300 we paid it’s really not bad at all and was better specced than nearly all the alternatives.

I swapped out the cassette for a 9 speed xt as the standard one was a lump of pig iron and it will get tubeless treatment at some point.

I did post about it 3-4 weeks ago.

gaidong
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing the Cube Kid 240 for my daughter -https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/kids/kid-240/cube-kid-240-disc-greynflashgreen-2017/. Pricing is pretty keen too – https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-kid-240-disc-grey-n-flashgreen-551772?currency=3&delivery_country=190.

Bedds
    Free Member

Thanks all.. some food for thought there.. i like the look of the voodoo

MoreCashThanDash

Some doting dad’s on here have done clever things with Carrera Blasts to lighten them, and there are loads of them on eBay.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Frog 62 here, followed on from Isla 20. Just as well specced (the “exclusive kid-specific parts” is BS). Paint probably better and still nice and light. Would recommend!

i_like_food

I got a Genesis core 24 and put 80mm Reba’s on it for my 6 yr old son. Works a treat.

I was amazed at what I had in he spares box in the garage, a bit of fettling and parts swapping soon lopped a fair bit of weight off. The best bit though was going 1×10, taking the front mech off reduced the number of things he had to think about and made life much easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What 24" kids bike’ is closed to new replies.