Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What 160mm fork for a five?
  • krag
    Free Member

So I’ve just replaced my stolen patriot with a five. Taken it for the first ride today and not surprisingly it rides quite differently.

I’m not loving the feel of the Fox Float R’s. I’m sure they’ll be fine for trail centre use but did a local route including a fairly long rock garden descent and the front was pretty sketchy. The 2.1 hutchinson tyres probably aren’t helping but I’m thinking of picking up some second hand coil u-turn lyriks. Any other suggestions? Are Marzocchi back on form now? Had bomber 66s on my patriot and they were plush but very heavy.

carbon337
    Free Member

Just gone to Lyrik Coil Uturn – the weight isnt at all noticable and the uturn helps on mega steep climbs.

Tested it first with a 2011 Float 36 RL2c thing and they were amazing if you can afford them but they are mega money.

A new set of Lyriks on classifieds at the mo.

Email me if you need to know anymore about my setup at 160mm on a five.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Coil u turn lyriks for me too. A bit heavy at 2.47 kg but simple, robust and easy to service. Wind them down to 140mm for twisty trail centre type stuff or all the way for climbing in the Alps. Come as std with the medium spring. The “what spring for your weight” chart put me on a stiff spring but i found it too stiff and i wasn’t getting all the travel even in the Alps. I refitted the medium spring and i’m happy as larry now.

My mate bought some Fox 36 RC2’s , very light but he found they blew through the travel too easily so he ended up with some lyriks too.

soulrider
    Free Member

Another shout for Lyrik Coil U-turns!!!

great bike with a top fork
    you will love riding it!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My mate bought some Fox 36 RC2 and found they blew through the travel too easily…

I’ve had an RC2 on my SX Trail for two seasons and haven’t had any issues. It took me a while to balance all the adjustments (high-speed & low-speed compression and rebound) and I found that the fork works better with a few PSI less air than Fox recommend (same with all Foxes, methinks). I still feel that the fork could do with less brake dive, but in terms of travel from hits it’s very nice indeed. If somebody was blowing through on an RC2, I’d look at set-up and technique before I condemned the fork.

I’ve had an ’11 RLC (which is what carbon337 was actually referring to) on my Orange SubZero for a few weeks now. It’s less sensitive to dive than the RC2 (at the same PSI) and I don’t miss the high-speed compression adjustment. I only use a couple of clicks of low-speed compression, three or four of rebound (if I remember correctly) and the fork is a pleasure to ride. Tracks beautifully and is, dare I say it, coil-like in its plushness.

I came to it from an ’07 Marzocchi 66 RC2X (on the Orange) and I am entirely satisfied. The RC2X was a hard act to follow and I even refrained from selling it until I’d had some time on the RLC. The RC2X is now bolted to somebody’s bike in Germany and the front of my SubZero is at least as plush and, like my wallet, is now considerably lighter!

jedi

i got marz 55’s on my corperate rocket

MrNutt
    Free Member

stick some rigid forks and wack one of those fattie tyres on it, build you’re own niche!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What 160mm fork for a five?’ is closed to new replies.