Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What 120mm xc ish fork
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Just at the idle musing stage:
    My Fox step cast 100mm fork on the xc bike is in need of a service (bit of play in bushings). To my mind I’d prefer a fork that could cope with my desire to ride a lot rather than need a service after 100 hrs or so. If I’m happy to add an extra 200 grams or so (a dollop of mud after all), then what fork would give me the durability I desire with performance to match. I might add that I define performance by working as opposed to being really ace for a bit then knackered.
    I race lots and hence know that results come from good legs rather than gram shaving. I need a bike that can cope with being ridden as opposed to something that is great on paper but can’t deal with actually doing a whole shed load of miles.
    I’ll send the current fork off for a service but whilst respecting that a top notch xc fork needs some tlc, inside I actually respect gear that can cope with being ridden, hence still ridding my beloved Blue Pig X with Rockshox Sector coil fork as much as I ride the truly sublime Trek Topfuel I race on.
    I put 120mm fork in the title as apparently the Topfuel is warrentied for this length so why wouldn’t you?

BearBack
    Free Member

I’d say the problem is that the SC is a really a raceday fork. Fox removed everything unnecessary in order to create a stunningly light fork.
    You could add a bit of weight and go to a 120mm regular chassis 32 and know that it will still be plenty of fork. Boosted, the 32 is plenty stiff and I’ve happily charged about everything I’d normally ride a 34/36 on with my boosted 32 hardtail.
    The 34s weight in about the same as a 32, but the 120mm is only available in 29.
    Non RC Scott Sparks run the 34…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Them American folk on mtbr seem to love the Fox 34 on the Topfuel. My bike is 29” btw.
    Back in the old days, you used to run a Reba if you rode more than your Sid could handle. Is the relationship between the 34 and the 32s step cast similar?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I believe the Reba has 32mm stanchions.
    Its more like a longer Sid or a Fox 32.
    Funnily enough use a SC for racing on my hardtail and swap to a 120mm Reba for more fun events.
    More than enough for what I want and easy to service.
    Your needs mite differ.
    The Fox 34 will be stiffer and have better damping if your a bit wild.
    As it is I am not so the Reba will suffice!
    Max

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What 120mm xc ish fork’ is closed to new replies.