Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What 100mm travel, V-brake compatible, budget fork?
  • Eldrik
    Free Member

A friend's RST Gila fork (100mm, 30mm stanchions, about 2500g) has eventually died, so he needs a replacement. As per the above, it should be 100mm travel, V-brake compatible, must cost an absolute maximum of £230, and ideally should weigh less than the existing fork. Oh yes, a fork which is relatively 'fit and forget' would be helpful as I doubt it will be serviced very regularly. I don't think he needs U-Turn or similar at this stage.

I've seen Rockshox Dart 3s at EUR101 plus P&P from Germany, or £130 ish in the UK. As a result of their 28mm stanchions, will these feel really flexy compared to the 30mm Gila ones?

I've also seen a number of Rockshox Tora SLs at £130 to £160 ish, but it is not clear if they have the V-brake lowers or disc only lowers.

Then there is the Magura Odur at around £230. Is it worth paying the premium for this over the others above?

Is it worth looking at Marzocchi, or have they not quite sorted out the quality control issues with the 2009 range?

What would STWers recommend, and are there any forks I have not considered which would be good?

Thanks in advance for any help provided….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some old marzocchis, either mx comps or some form of Z1's – absolutely fit and forget and cheap. Go 2nd hand

nickc

2nd hand marzocchi. Not the lightest of options but probably the most robust I suspect

Eldrik
    Free Member

Thanks – I know the old Marzocchis are great as I have some myself, but I suspect he would prefer a new fork all the same.

I'll ask him re: secondhand ones too however.

Anything else I should be considering in addition to the forks mentioned above, whether new or secondhand, and are STWers aware of any cheaper prices than above?

topangarider
    Free Member

Having had 2 pairs of MX Comp ETAs (03 and 05) – I'd rate these over a new Dart or a Tora anyday. Little maintenance required and easy when they do, smooth as anything and 30mm stanchions. And if he eventually upgrades to discs, the bosses come off and the forks looks 'clean'.

I have the 03 MX Comp ETA for sale – has only 176mm steerer, but if you're interested, let me know.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Tora with with motion control damping will p*ss over a MX Comp IME and IMO

mk1fan
    Free Member

I suggest a Tora too.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Old rebas have v brake bosses, are silly light, stiff, reliable and great damping. Buy one, get it serviced somewhere nice and have change for a kebab. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A vote for Zocchi MX comp here Affordable new of CRC

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Anyone got a view on the Marzocchi 22Rs that Merlin are selling? I'm in a similar situation, as some Suntour junk has packed up on a bike I leave abroad.

A friend has a pair of Pilots that look like they can take v bosses, but since they were OEM on a disc specced bike they don't come with them. Are they easy to get hold of?

Jamie

shoefiti
    Free Member

the mx comp are really easy to service yourself, and cheap for seals, also bushings are easy to do compaired to rockshok normally, never had a bad set of mazzochi forks.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Reba for sure.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What 100mm travel, V-brake compatible, budget fork?’ is closed to new replies.