Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What 100mm fork for £150ish
  • tommo
    Free Member

Looking for some advice please.

I need a 100mm fork that must have IS disk mount and must be fit and forget.
    Doesn't have to be light or have lock-out.

The best I can see so far is this:

Rockshox Tora SL 2009

Would love to see your ideas!

james
    Free Member

Same forks, black or white, £10 less from merlin (inc. P&P*)

Marzocchi XC500 ETA** = £157.46

If you stretch another £25, recons are a lot lighter (same internals as the toras) here for £175

*At least it was last time I got some forks from them
    ** A lockout which when you push on them also drop the height of the fork for going uphill

tommo
    Free Member

Thanks James!

I called merlin about those toras, unfortunately their site is mixed up. The link says 2010 but goes to 2009 forks. The guy in the shop says they only have 2010 which are post mount!

The recons and marzocchis look like post mount aren't they?

Cheers.

james
    Free Member

I didn't read that bit. It does appear they are all post mount

What are your brake calipers? Do they bolt straight to an IS fork (running with a 160mm rotor) with no adaptor bolted to them? If so, then theres only one adaptor (going off threads asking about this) that might fit, but theres a good chance won't, or might not be available any more (made by giant)

tommo
    Free Member

They're old shimano XT from about 2005 I guess. The rotors are small so must be 160. There's no adapter, the last forks I used them with were Marzocchi AM3's and they bolted straight on.

john-b
    Free Member

bought the tora sl,s for my sons bike didnt think they would last long as nothing does with him but i have to say he's beat the crap out of these all summer and they have taken a lot of stick up to now

james
    Free Member

The winstanleys page says that tora '09 is post mount too

Either try to find something IS mount, or go into a giant bike dealer and ask if they have (or can order) a (giant) post mount fork to IS caliper adaptor. I think thats the only one for that way around. An IS fork – post mount caliper adator won't work.

I asked in my LBS 2 years ago when I was considering buying a post mount fork when I had some IS mount giant calipers. I'd seen the adaptor in the brakes instructions and they had one in the workshop (JeJames Rotherham)

tommo
    Free Member

You're right! Thanks for spotting that. I thought I'd seen elsewhere the 2009s were IS.

tommo
    Free Member

These look like IS mounts…

Tora 302 U-turn

…could be good? A bit more than I wanted to pay, but look nice!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What 100mm fork for £150ish’ is closed to new replies.