Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wharncliffe trails & conditions
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

Currently being jobless I’ve plenty of time to get out on the bike, which is handy. Unfortunately I’m also company car-less so my riding reach is fairly limited without doing a lot of roadwork on the bike. I don’t live too far from Greno & wharncliffe though. Greno I know my way around but never really got to grips with wharncliffe so planning to use my time of to scope it out properly. I know how to get to ‘fast track’ – are the other trails easy to find from there / same area and will it be a slippy death-fest at this time of year?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They’re sloppy n wet in a heatwave. Great fun though. You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Embracing the mud it is then.

Any tips on how to find the trails or is a bit of aimless wandering in order?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They’re pretty much all off that one fire road at the top of the bank. From top car park just follow the fire road and take a right whenever the opportunity arrives. If you want the new big jump stuff they’re all past all the dh tracks which will be on the left. Then hit a right up the bridleway

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Loads of trails parallel to fast track, just follow the top fire road and look for entrance points and explore.

Lots are steep and techy and tricky in the wet, which is half the fun.

Possible to link a really good trail ride up in the too with some knowledge.

Are you after trail bike stuff or ‘proper’ DH?

Either spend a lot of time exploring or really need to be shown round to get the best out of it though.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

After more trail, and dare I say it, enduro type sections rather than full on downhill. From what I remember from a quick blast there years ago it seemed to be a bit of both. Or is it full on downhill there exclusively theses days? from what I’ve been told the xc routes there are pretty much knackered these days, so I don’t mind just doing some runs and pushing back up, but probably on some of the ‘gentler’ runs if such a thing exists?

tuboflard

This map gives you a good idea of where most of the DH tracks are

http://s400.photobucket.com/user/supersonic525/media/LocationofmostDownhilltracksatwharncliffe.jpg.html

you can definitely ride them on an enduro bike though. There are also tracks in between the Jump Track and Diamond Back as shown on the map, as others have said, follow the bridleway track along the top and look for trails dropping in. Lots to go at.

lw246
    Free Member

As said above, the tracks are constantly wet, but good fun. If you want a guide at the weekend then drop me an email as I’m quite local and ride there quite regularly.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

thanks for the pointers

@lw246 -cheers, may well take you up on that in a few weeks

riklegge

@sofaboy73- my job means I can ride at Wharncliffe midweek pretty easily and I’m happy to show you around. Email in profile.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bookmarking for a future guide, 8)

riklegge

sofaboy / freeridenick; I’m planning to head to Wharncliffe on Wednesday if this is of any use.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Had a run out yesterday, Steel city track is running really well for this time of year. I went over and rode down fast track which was a sloppy mess and covered me in mud.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe trails & conditions’ is closed to new replies.