Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wharncliffe DH
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

Travelling over from Manchester on Saturday morning to give it a go. What are the conditions like at the moment (with the rain and all)?

If it's a no go any other suggestions?

Pook

wet and boggy. Not being a DHiller wouldnt know where else ot recommend sorry

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'm not a DHer either but I'll give it a go! I suppose just hitting some of the descents in the peaks may be an option. If the weathers rubbish it should keep the hordes of walkers a little more at bay than usual.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Blaca Moor is also worth a visit if your in the area. Although its bridlepaths and not quite as technical.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it's not really wharncliffe if it isn't wet slippery deathonnastick.

it'll be fine. about as good as it ever gets (apart from those 2 magical weeks a year when it dries out, usually in late summer).

there's plenty of rocks to ride over, it's really not that bad in the wet.

GW
    Free Member

only ever ridden Warnecliffe in the bone dry but would love to ride it in the wet. just go and find out for yourself.

DH's never a no go

tracknicko
    Free Member

quite. its sheffield in march. nothing is dry. most of us wear wellies to bed.

just MTFU.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Lol @ tracknicko.

I'm quite happy to ride in the rain. My query was if it was worth it really. There's 5 of us deffo going. One on a HT (portlyrider)

tracknicko
    Free Member

funk yeh. if it isnt worth going in the wet then it isnt ever worth going? see my point?

wet's good anyway, slows you down enough to not need you to use your brakes, saving you in pad wear etc.

or something.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

LOL

tracknicko
    Free Member

it's true. and also as the ground is softer there is an 84% reduction in the chances of getting hurt when you inevitably stack it.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Looks pretty dry to me. Steve Peat Twitpic

Sim

I'm always surprised how dry Wharncliffe is even when it's been chucking it down. If you're running Wet Screams it doesn't really matter what the conditions are like 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

becuase the amount of rock there will kill you if you run them anyways?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its called whoooaaaa'n'cliffs for a reason…………..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

My friend is running wetscreams on his v10. I'm sure we'll be fine. Prepare for the thinnest skills wharncliffe has ever witnessed!

JonR
    Free Member

I fully expect my wet screams to be heard all the way in to the centre of sheffield.

robidoo
    Free Member

Pop over the road to Grenna woods too, and don't leave owt on show in the top car park.
    You will be reet.

Rob.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'll be leaving a van in the car park. There will be nothing in it though. Is there a problem with break ins? Is there a better place to park?

Oh and Jon, You'll be needing them wetscreams after last nights downpour!

jimmy

Do the crag top trail, one of my favourite trails ever.

antigee

there are problems with break ins in the top car park think is a small random problem rather than persistent but maybe that it is because can be quiet or busy depending on weather

alternative is park on the part of station lane in oughtibridge by the pheasant pub and ride/push up hill a bit without getting mown down

never ever park on the factory entrance road that forms part of the tpt and leads into the woods just above oughtibridge break ins are very regular there

PS the sun is out this morning

GW
    Free Member

good to know antigee, can I also add..and never try and sleep in the car in the top car park unless you're up for some dogging action 😳

Just to contradict what a few on here have said – Wharncliffe's bloody awful when it's been wet.

Amazing in the dry though.

GW
    Free Member

Assuming we're only talking abou the DH runs what's so awful in the wet?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Fastrac, NEMBA, Dog's b*llox DH runs were fine t'other weekend after a similar amount of rain.

The rocky chute start to fastrac was a bit slippery but it always seems to be tbh…

portlyone

Despite the rain the week before the two DH trails I tried seemed very rideable (where rideable means I didn't slip once while carrying my HT)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe DH’ is closed to new replies.