Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Whale watching
  • GrahamS

I've never understood where the entertainment value is in looking at a whale.

Yeah. Bloody natural world eh? Thinks it's so cool with its diversity and awe-inspiring wonder.

Better off staying at home and watching X-Factor. 🙄

BigJohn

I've seen whales/dolphins in their natural environments, and I was quite excited when a couple of big buggers surfaced to check me out when I was windsurfing on the Red Sea.

That's a bit different from getting on a boat just to go and hang about till you see some, and then go "ooh & aah" on cue.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Dolphins or whales? Or doesn't it matter? There are 20 odd species of dolphin / whale in the waters around the UK including Orca (the largest dolphin).

In NZ I've seen male sperm whales which was amazing but that frankly wasn't as good as watching dolphins in the UK. Try Scotland's resident dolphins in the Moray Firth, just stand on the beach and look as the tide turns, last time I was there a large male surfaced about 20 feet from me as I parked the car. Spent hours there watching a large group feed and teach very young ones how to behave while hunting. Just take binoculars or invest in a spotting scope. Also a trip to the Shannon Estuary in Eire is pretty much guaranteed to give you a large number to see.

Sadly a lot of whale watching trips are not organised as well as the one described earlier and many don't do no-see no-fee.

alpin
    Free Member

whilst in SW Australia a friend and i decided to go whale watching. tiny little town on the most south-westerly point.

waether was awful. really windy, big waves. the boats weren't leaving the habour.

mate and i camped on a beach for three days. we spent most of our time stoned hanging onto a monkey puzzle tree which was bending and jumping about in the wind.

didn't see any whales but had fun.

Ambrose

Oh- I forgot, The Cardigan Bay dolphins are a common sight at Rhosllefain, south of Barmouth. I used to see them regularly when I was bouldering there.

Best UK sea lfe to date has been Mousa, close to Lerwick in the Shetlands. Closely followed by Skomer, West Wales. Both were stunning. I didn't want to leave.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Whale watching’ is closed to new replies.